Rock River Spring Walleye Reports

• jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Saw at least a dozen boats out this morning. Does anyone have anything to report?

lundmann23
    Franklin

i have a report but its not much of a good one. fished everywhere from the mouth to the vfw with only one walleye making it to the boat. fished many different presentations in many depths with no avail. marked fish and had a lot of hits at the stink pipe but no takers except for a white bass. water was very cold and dirty. highest temp i read was at 36.4. we need some more warm days to get them active. i think the dirty water played a bigger part than anything. no more than 6 inches below the surface could i see my bait. i think we had the best luck with 2 fish as everyone else i talked to didn’t even get a bite.

good luck if you go tomorrow. i think everyone will need a little with these poor conditions. oh well, still great to be on the water. wind and strong current was making it tough for boat control too.
    tight lines,
    mike

p.s. the one walleye was a legal but returned. and it was caught on a green/glow nuckleball jig!!

lundmann23
    Franklin

oh yeah, was alot of debris and ice floating down in the morning. by the time we left at 5 everything was pretty clear. i flew back to the launch with no problems. ended up launching at blackhawk due to the poor parking situation at fort. definately didn’t have to fight a lot of boats today. it was pretty peaceful.

hard-water
    Milwaukee, WI

Tried it from shore yesterday. Fished from 1-5:30. Had 1 on but it got off. Otherwise a pretty slow day. Was great to be out though. There was some debris in the water, but not a whole lot. Some of it was pretty big. I think I saw a telephone pole go by. Will try again next week.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Thanks for the reports guys. Yes fishing is tough right now but it’s fun to be out. Water must be up at least four feet and still coming up. Current and wind was so hard this morning I felt like I never ran a trolling motor before. Walleyes were hard to target so we went after white bass and managed to get around 20 and took 12 nice ones home. Also had and caught some nice carp. I didn’t see any BIG chucks of ice floating but there are lots of logs and stuff so be careful. Water temp 34 to 36. It’s a new ball game out there this year with different conditions.

lundmann23
    Franklin

i know those walleyes are in there. its just finding them. where did you find the white bass. maybe thats what was hitting real short. i hope the river slows down soon. might head to the miss thursday night depending on work.
    jeff, keep me updated on conditions if you can. that water is too cold i think.

lundmann23
    Franklin

i forgot to mention my trophy i caught on saturday. pulled up a log with more lures and jigs on it than in my tackle box. no zone-r’s though so i think u avoided it jeff. seriously had over 200 jigs with some spinners and cranks on it. and probably 5000 yards of line.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

That’s one reason why I use Zone-R’s they don’t get snagged up to often.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

NO, but I will be out there soon. I’m doing my home work right now as I speak to figure out those nasty conditions.

lundmann23
    Franklin

well when you figure it out, let me know!!

hard-water
    Milwaukee, WI

I think I will go and try it after dark tonight. I’ll leave a report tomorrow.

lundmann23
    Franklin

are the conditions getting worse or better than last weekend. i wanna catch something this weekend if i come…

lundmann23
    Franklin

jeff, you have an update, might make the trip tomorrow solo.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Water high which is good. Current is still strong and the water has clean up a bite. Now it’s time to fish. I will be out for a couple hour in the morning and Thursday also.

lundmann23
    Franklin

jeff, turn your phone on. tried calling you this morning but no answer. waiting for a call to see if i have to go to madison or not. otherwise on my way to the rock…

hard-water
    Milwaukee, WI

Got there right before dark and set up. Current seemed to have slowed a bit from Sat. Got 1 carp around 10# or so and that was it. Not a lot of big debris, but a lot of leaves and grass under the surface running with current.

lundmann23
    Franklin

hows the water clarity. i think that is the main problem. i can deal with the high water.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Water clarity is fine for me. The fish found my hook this morning.

lundmann23
    Franklin

where are the pictures?

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

All fish were CPR. You know me I have pictures. I was planning on going out Thursday morning if the weather wouldn’t of change and use up my film just four left. I’ll post them by Friday.

lundmann23
    Franklin

looks like i’ll be there saturday. its suppose to warm up by then. how many guys were out. did the temp move up yet?

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I saw at least ten boats out fishing all in the wrong areas. Nobody was fishing by me and the water temp was 37 to 38.

lundmann23
    Franklin

thats why your the man and there not!!!

lundmann23
    Franklin

where did u put in at? hows that launch under the bypass. saw a few trailers there on saturday. maybe its alright with the water being up.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

That’s where I will launch with a buddy along so he can hold the boat when you park. I have to figure a why to launch by my self. They put the bouys in down town so it takes a long time to get threw town. The bypass launch is a good launch and when they put the dock out its a better launch. I launch there last year in the fall with low water conditions with no problems.

lundmann23
    Franklin

maybe i will give it a try. last time with my buddies boat it was pretty shallow. couldn’t drive it on real well because the motor was in the mud. and my boats a lot bigger and deeper. you gonna give the river hell this weekend?

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Don’t you guys ever work??? Looking forward to bumming with you on the Rock in a couple weeks, but gonna be on vacation with the family till the 23rd. So warm them eyes up for me. Take a look at the Pool 4 report for my early-week escapades.

lundmann23
    Franklin

construction and cold weather= slow to no work

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.