How to blow a tax return

• Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I thinking about taking a plunge with my tax return and getting the Humminbird 798ci side-scanner sonar with internal GPS preloaded with Navionics maps online for $1064.65 (free shipping). I’m hoping to buy a second mount so I can move it from front/back of my boat, maybe even a second transducer so I can use it on my in-laws boat up north. Would I be a fool? I’m hoping it’ll show me all the dead water so I can concentrate my time in areas where there’s fish.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I don’t think you would be a fool… I would say it would make you smart

big G

Kelly Jordan
    Fort Atikinson,Wisc

sure sounds good to me,but instead of a second holder,get a second unit,less hassle not having to move it around now if i got one,id have to get a boat to mount it in hmmm theres an idea…. from what ive seen of them tho,you cant go wrong there

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

That would be a very intellegent move if you ask me There is a ton to learn about the water you fish with that unit. It will also give you a lot better understanding what type of areas or structure your fishing. I can think of a lot of things more foolish to spend a tax return on than that. good choice

Prestige
    Elgin, MN

Great unit. My dad has that unit on a boat at his place on a lake in Wisconsin. There are hundreds of manmade cribs in that lake and you can see every branch that make up those cribs. Kind if interesting some of the things you find underwater. The lake maps and GPS make trolling the old river channel a lot easier.

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

DATABOY THE WIFE SAYS ITS NEVER FOOLISH TO GET BETTER FISH FINDER IF IT MEANS YOU GET HOME QUICKER TO THINGS AT HOME.

jhalfen

Databoy, let me make one suggestion: don’t get the pre-loaded maps. They are 1-2 yrs old and cannot be updated.

Put that $$ towards a 2009 map chip. In a couple of years, upgrade your chip and you’ll have a constant stream of the latest mapping data.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Definitly wait for the 2009 chip save the 200 bucks and buy it later the loaded chip I believe is a 05-06.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Jeez, you guys are great. I love IDO!!! I never thought I’d get such useful tips. I have only seen the unit on the web so far and I’m wondering if there’s a transducer on each side of the boat since I can’t see how you could get a signal through the motor to the opposite side of the boat. Anyone know how much the extra transducers and mounts cost so I can move it from boat to boat? I might even be willing to share it with my walleye league partner – hint, hint I should have my tax return already next week so I’m going to run out and buy it before I change my mind. Thanks again for the help, hopefully I can return some favors when I see and learn what I’m trying to fish.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I found something very interesting today at work. I’m a IT guy and I’m beta testing Windows 7 with IE 8 which suggests web sites based on what your surfing. While on IDO on clicked on the Suggested Sites and it can’t find any similar sites. This is the only site I’ve found so far without something else similar. IDO is truly unique!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Give Wade a call or email at JollyAnn Marine. He can answer any questions about an extra transducer if it is needed, and he also Always has free shipping, and excellent customer service.
    JollyAnn

Jack

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Databoy, let me make one suggestion: don’t get the pre-loaded maps. They are 1-2 yrs old and cannot be updated.

Put that $$ towards a 2009 map chip. In a couple of years, upgrade your chip and you’ll have a constant stream of the latest mapping data.

I agree with Jason. The 2009 chips are hitting the market and will serve you better than the preloaded data.

And Jack, thank you for the referral!

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Thanks Wade, I sent an email to your shop.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.