plastics & Raps for Rock eyes now

• tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Jeff–That Nucklehead jig looks like it should work. I don’t use any bait with the hair or plastic. when throwing plastic I just pitch a basic jighead with a 4 inch Berkley chartreuse/punkin power worm (see my post this date–Fox R.) As for Rapalas–NO three way rig. fish sliding back down toward Kosh will eat the basic #13 Rap (orange/gold is a favorite) or #7 shad Rap w/ simple cast/ retrieve. Target that area downstream from VFW club to tip of Blackhawk island–just cast that Rap UPSTREAM and retrieve with the current as you drift down. Walleyes tend to slide down the river BACKWARDS. Pitching the stickbait UPSTREAM tends to bring it back right in their face. This really, really, REALLY works..once you figure it out. Keep the faith !!!

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Thanks for the great tip Ted I’ll try it Friday afternoon.

Ted what do you think the full moon does to these walleyes this time of year? Do you think the eyes feed better at night or it doesn’t matter.

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Hard to be objective about the full moon thing. DEFINITELY believe there is a connection if water temps and other variables are right at spawning time…caught some nice ones on the full moon in previous years at nite. But then again, it’s the ‘what came first, chicken or egg’ thing—are you fishing harder because they OUGHT to be biting? dunno. It has been a strange year for me on the Rock. When everything said they ought to be aggressive, the walleyes weren’t..and when condtions were tough (cold front, high water) the fishing was pretty good. Gonna go rip some lips on Apple Canyon Lake today, thinking about either menominee R. at Marinette or back to home grounds at Genoa next week. The parameters for hitting it JUST RIGHT at Marinette are pretty slim…three years ago hit it perfect and landed 22 from 4-11 lbs wading and throwing Thundersticks DURING THE FULL MOON PERIOD in a sleet storm at nite. But if you don’t hit it right and they open the gates of the dam, or your up there too late pretty much all you catch is suckers and snag walleyes. One way or the other, at least your pole gets bent…and this seems to be a better alternative to pounding the Rock some more in the week ahead. If you do get out there around Blackhawk island, give that Rapala thing a SERIOUS SHOT wouldya..Believe and ye shall see. Honestly!

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

It must be nice to fish as much as you do Ted I envy you. I’ll definitely will try the rapala. I’m on a hot bite right now on the rock with vertical jigging. Catching all males from 15 to 20 inches. Here’s some male eyes I caught Good Friday and they were milken. Just so you know I eat these nice fish today on my B-Day, man were they good. My wife told me she gets the last piece of fish or she take the boat away. Hmmm that was a no brainer .

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

So Ted how did the trip to Apple Canyon and Menominee turn out?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.