walleyes not in old familiar places

• tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

had two guide trips on the lower Rock–Rockton pool–in the past week. River is still exceptionally high, water temps in mid-40’s…and walleyes not in the old familiar places! Boated nine fish on these two trips, biggest only about 3 lbs (if you don’t count the 12 lb flathead which hit one of Hutch’s hair jigs below the railroad trestle). Hitting the walleyes in SLACK WATER WHICH IS ALMOST DRY GROUND AT NORMAL POOL. Three came on river shiner pattern hair jig, six on fathead with either orange or yellow jighead, hooking minnow thru the mouth and out thru back–no plastic on jig. Even though only fishing 3-7 ft. of water,using a 1/4 ounce jig to bounce the gravel better–and that’s another key–fish have been relating to gravel bottom. Success of spawn will be determined by how long river stays high. If we get back to normal pool within two weeks or so things don’t look good. Walleyes are trying to spawn in less than 4 feet of water now–normally dry ground or nearly so at normal pool.
    Gonna try fishing for fun in the Pec today. Color isn’t perfect, but river coming down. There are a couple of gravel flats near Rockton (ARound Coon Creek entry) which have slack water where you ought to be able to scratch a couple fish. don’t give up! the walleyes haven’t left the river…they just aren’t in the old familiar places!

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Thanks for the great report Ted. I’m not going to give up, and your right there not in the familiar place. You would think there would be a couple of eyes there. If you could find these secert spots where these walleyes hide in the river this time of year with these conditions they must be stacked on top of each other.

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Have you tried hair or plastic ? Was gonna get out yesterday and try a BIG soft floating jighead on an 18-24 inch dropper and no-snagg sinker….but the Admiral insisted that windows get washed since I’m headed for the Fox today and tomorrow. Believe a lot of walleyes will re-absorb eggs this year…but some females which have spawned above Kosh are sliding back down stream. have had great luck just post spawn between Fort and tip of Blackhawk island tossing Rapalas just post spawn. Seems like females are higher up in the water column post-spawn , just sort of “going with the flow” . Same pattern happens on the Wolf when fish go post spawn and start floating back down to Winnebago. don’t give up !

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

No Ted I haven’t tried hair jigs which I real only have two white ones in my tackle boxs, that might be one jig I should stock up on. Do you make your own? What kinds of hair jigs are you talking about? And where is a good spot to buy some? I have tried a floating jig head and sometimes plain hooks with a fathead & with no snags on a three way swivel with no luck. Are you talking carolina rig method with rapalas? I’ll give that a try Friday. I always try plastic when I’m out but this spring I have only caught one nice sauger so far with plastic. I’ll keep pounding the water. I always have better luck in the next couple of weeks. Actually I have some of my best fishing the end of April and May on these Rock River Walleyes. And then July comes big fish time for eyes on the rock. Your more and welcome to join me when I get back on the bite, which should be soon.

Ted here’s a Zone-R nuckle ball jig that Brian Sander tie hair on and he did real good at a Tourney in red wing. Is this the kinds of hair jigs your talking about?

lundmann23
    Franklin

hair jigs are one of my favorites but have not worked well for me on the rock. i’ve tried many styles and colors but a plain jig and minnow still seems to be the best producer for me on the rock!!

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

The one which works best for me is a green/white bucktail with a green head (emerald shiner) tied by a fellow named Bruce Quam. I’ve only got two left–and Bruce passed away two years ago. Hutch from Prairie du Chien ties a darn good hair jig which will also work. The key is allowing the bait to fall to the bottom, then swimming it just off bottom–or higher up in water column with an occasional pulse. High vis line also works. I’ve been fishing the Rock for over 30 years and guiding it for over 20…and for many years believed the only way to catch spring ‘eyes was either a jig or a rig with a minnow. Bruce Quam opened my eyes about six years ago with his hair jigs. Livebait will probably catch more fish but I’ve found THE BIG GALS LOVE HAIR!!

lundmann23
    Franklin

i’ve got some of hutch’s hair jigs and i agree, they are pretty darn nice. my brother knows him, actually fishes with from time to time. i’ve had my best luck on purple but it just isn’t consistent on the rock for me. but i also don’t fish them hard enough as i do a jig and minnow.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.