Foster Trout Fishing

• joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

Well guys if you are looking for some trout for supper hit foster in the evening. Went out tonight and iced 6 fish and missed about that many also, I was only on the ice for an hour, kept the first 2 for supper released the rest. Most of the lake was in good walkable condition with 4-6 inches of ice. I would say the fish prefered minnows and I fished shallow above submerged vegetation. Tight lines #5

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the report Joe. Were the fish on bottom or just under the ice? How deep of water were you in? Only a high of 25 tomorrow so if we don’t get much snow tonight, snow insulates the ice, it should keep on making ice for us. Thanks, Bill

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

Hey Bill, I was shallow in about 7 ft but weeds were about 5 ft up, I fished just above the weeds . Got a lot of hit and runs, to my knoledge they have not stocked yet so the ones that are there are highely educated.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

If my memory is correct they should be stocking it right after the new year starts as part of their stocking schedule. Should be some good fishing coming up and it looks like you found some good ones already. Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

As I recall, last year they stocked the lake shortly after it had good ice. I would hope they would be stocking it very soon!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I was on the ice last year just after the hew year when they stocked it and we set up in the area they dumped them in and my guess is the 3 of us caugth and released at the least probably 40 fush..the only bait i use in foster is a silver swedish pimple with a waxie or 2 on it as well…..just dance it along and they HAMMER it there is no love taps there at all…does anyone know if it would be worth it that I try out Willow Creek Res never fished that before and would liek to try her out….fish 3 to 5 days a week on ice and would liek to find some places to cut down on the driving.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Talked to a guy yesterday that said they had been on Willow Creek over the weekend and got some decent bluegills. Don’t forget about Chester Woods, Foster Arends, Country Club sand pits, the Boy Scout camp, and Lake Zumbro.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

have you guys ever tried or had much luck fishing after dark at foster?? i know i’ve fished at night many times out there but can’t recall ever having much luck once the sun has gone down . maybe i have, but i just don’t remember….

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

Hey guys to your night fishing at foster question, I have noticed that once you can not see you bobber around 5 :15 it seems to go dead. I would think they would still hit if you got out some glow jigs.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Erick, Where have you been hiding? I haven’t seen or heard from you in along time. Since you say you fish 3-5 times per week on the ice how about giving us some reports on the fishing you do? That way we can all learn and its a great way to keep the ice fishin talk goin. Thanks, Bill

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I switched jobs now which frees me up soo much more..didnt get out nearly enough this summer to the river it was quite depressing..well so far the crappies on the local ponds have been HAMMERIN to say the least just gotta find those nice ones though…got one 13 inch the other night..ice looks awsome under the refrozen slush. I got a tip though that willow holds some nice crappies as well but im just tryin to figure out where to go or where to start….does hooked on fishin have any kind of map of willow at all or there not one that exists im guessin since its a fairly new body of water. Im thinkin maybe some time we have all of us posters on the rochester board meet up for an afternoon of BS and fishing….but yes fire the blades up boys that ice is thick after these last few days! Hey BIll buy some pain killers and get out on that ice haha just kidding..give me a hollar if your ever gonna be heading out on the ice im on break fromt he college, RCTC, till the 14th of jan when im not workin i will be fishin.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

ercik: I’ve heard of nice crappies in Willow Res. also but never found them yet. You can download a map of it off the DNR web site. All the deep water is from the landing to the point.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.