West Newton

• hof
    Rochester, MN

Went to West Newton for a few hours this afternoon. It was a great day to be out in the 75 degree sunshine!
    The fish had a bad attitude though – at least until I added a waxie to my 1/32 oz. hair jig. I had only caught about 10 smaller fish on a plain hair jig, but when I added some meat – well the fish went wild! It was almost non-stop catching for the next couple of hours. Most of the fish were on the small side, but I did keep a nice meal of 7-8 inch gills. I did not catch any large crappies today.
    Has anyone been fishing any of the other backwater areas on the river?

Good Fishing,
    Mike

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve been catching some dandy incidental crappies on pool 4 on the main channel and in the backwaters near Red Wing. Small black hair jigs have been tops. Several eye-popping stringers of BIG crappies have come into the resort lately and this past weekend was real good for the big slabs from what I saw, experienced and heard. Just about any area with timber in the water with some decent depth added to the mix will hold the crappies right now. Small minnows, small plastics w/ or w/o meat and hair jigs are producing. Just start at the mouth of the WI channel and work your way (carefully!) downstream stopping in areas with depth and wood and you’ll be into fish in short order.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Now that sounds like FUN to me. Anybody else have some info to share on catching panfish? Thanks, Bill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.