Lake Zumbro Report !!

• brad_gravenhof
    Rochester MN

Well I finally got that week off Ive been waiting for, so I hit it hard starting yesterday.
    I got out to Lake Zumbro this morning about nine, I started throughing buzz baits to shore with the lake be’in like glass, and it paid off. within the first 1/2 hour i had 2 smallies 3 largemouth and 2 northern. All released of course. I also got bit quite a few times on jigs up to shore, also tried carolina rigs for awhile in Ryan’s Bay with little sucsess.
    It seamed like the windier it got the slower it got,but enough action to keep me goin
    till about 5:00. All in all a pretty good day with at least 20 – 25 fish total, nothin huge,
    the largest were a 16 in smallie and 17 in largemouth. northerns were in the 5 lb range,fun to catch if you dont get bit off!!
    All for now, I wanted to get up to “the Big River” this week, but from what i’ve heard lately, it’s a little slow gettin the wallards!!!!
    I’ll probably stick it out on the Zumbro, close to home too.
    Hope to post again later in the week, Maybe try for panfish mid-week.
    Waters not froze yet LETS GO !!!

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Brad,

Thanks for the report! Sounds like a fun day on Lake Zumbro!
    The Mississippi is just starting to give up some fish. I would expect this week or next to see lots of fish being caught. The plastic bite should really kick into high gear very soon.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Brad, Thanks for the report. Hope to hear alot more from you since you are off this week. Have you checked to see if the crappies are in close to shore with the colder temps now? Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Sounds like the crappies are starting to migrate into shallower water. The best bite is early morning or later afternoon. Use your electronics to find the suspended fish, they have been suspended about 12 ft. Sounds like a lot of nice crappies in the 11-13 inch range are being caught!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Mike, What techniques do you suggest using? Live bait under a bobber? Casting jigs and bait? Casting jigs and plastics? Hair jigs? Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Bill,

I would try to fish vertically under the boat if possible, but would use a slip bobber to the appropriate depth if vertical fishing under the boat is not possible. I like using small hair jigs 1/16 oz. or lighter. Small plastics like tubes will also work well. At times the crappies will only hit meat, so minnows will be needed. Once in a while you can get some real giants by using walleye size minnows instead of the usual crappie minnows. It all comes down to seeing what they want and then fine-tuning the presentation.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Wow!!! That sure was a fast reply. Thanks for the info. Thanks, Bill

brad_gravenhof
    Rochester MN

Just a quick update,
    Was out today and found some good bassin on the shoreline up from Fishermans Inn.
    Was a great day to be out!!
    Jig & pig took all today,up real tight to the trees.
    Tried for crappies early afternoon with no succes.
    Got bit off a couple times also —- SLIMERS !!!!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the update. Keep en comin Bud! Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

I heard the crappies have moved deeper into about 20 ft. with the cool weather. They will probably be deep until it warms up a bit next week and should move shallower then.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

What we need is several more hours of daylight after work so we could fish fish fish! I hate the shorter daylight hours. So nicer weather is coming up next week , hummmm. Come on fall normal weather. Thanks, Bill

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.