Nice panfish

• hof
    Rochester, MN

Just a short report.
    The panfish (crappies and bluegills) are really biting well in many of the shallow backwaters of the Mississippi right now! No need to wait for these mini bruisers any longer. One of the best things is that the great bite will probably continue until ice time!
    A variety of bait is working – small jigs tipped with waxies, small minnows on plain hooks or small jigs, small hair jigs, plain hooks with waxies or worms.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Mike, I know its early yet as Ice Fishing isn’t here yet but do you have ant waxies? Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Bill,

Yes, we carry waxies all year. They work just as well in the open water as they do through the ice.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Mike, Any more secrets that you are willing to share with us. [hint hint]. Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Bill,

Secrets? What secrets??

If anyone likes catching panfish – well, now is the time to chase them! All the backwaters of the Mississippi (Wilcox, West Newton, the Dike Road, Pioneer Campsite, etc.) are producing nice bluegills and crappies. We also need to remember that Lake Zumbro, Chester Woods, the sand pits at Country Club Manor, the Boy Scout Camp, and other impoundments are producing nice panfish right now.

Of course, just when you think it can’t get any better, throw in the hot plastics bite that is coming on the walleyes/sauger!

Fall fishing is great!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

How about a leech bite right now for panfish and smallmouth and walleyes. I hear you have alot of leeches in stock and are selling them for only 20.00 a pound. How many leeches do you get in a pound Mike? Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Leeches can be a great bait for a few weeks yet depending on water temp. Late last fall, the walleyes went on a great leech bite and I would expect that to happen again. Panfish and smallies both will hit leeches throughout the year. I will be selling all the remainder of our leeches at $2/dozen, $10.50/half lb., or $20/lb. There are roughly 16 dozen per lb.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

hof
    Rochester, MN

Went fishing today and it was fantastic!
    The crappies and gills were big and plentiful. The best part is that this good fishing will probably remain for several weeks yet!!!

If you’ve got time, go fishing!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Ok Mike, lets spill the beans. Where were you fishing at. No just teasing aloud. lol. Lets have some specifics, some facts, some hot bait info, how deep, what color, how big, what was for lunch? Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Mike, PS. Don’t you ever work anymore? Man I wish I had your job and could sneak off to fish whenever!!! The rough life hey! Thanks, Bill

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i was out in some backwaters yesterday looking for some panfish……unfortunatly, i never found them. one 9″ crappie and a few little bitty sunnies. i was using small hair jigs and plastics, but they just weren’t going as good as i expected.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Bill,

Yes, the good life! God is good!
    Today, I went to West Newton. The action is as good at Wilcox and the Dike Road. It’s just a matter of working the shorelines until you locate the fish, but lately the fish have been just about everywhere.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

ps. – when the work day starts at 5 a.m., it’s OK to get out for a few hours in the afternoon….

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Picture !! Pictures guys !!

hof
    Rochester, MN

I went fishing again today and really got a lot of nice crappies and gills. I also took my digital camera along and fully intended to post some pictures, but unforunately the pictures are over 100k and too large to post.
    Guess I’ll just have to go again and get some different pictures!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Mike, and anyone else, resize the pics to a smaller size and they should work. I go to Image and change the size from 640 x 480 down to 320 x 240 and they post fine. Thanks, Bill

newt
    Pillager, MN

If you have Microsoft Photo Editor try right clicking on the picture and do that cropping thing. Reduces pretty well.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Here is a nice 8+ inch bluegill.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Here is a crappie pushing 12 inches.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the pics. Looks like someone had fun! What equipement, lures, bait etc. were you using? Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Bill,

The pictures got a little fuzzy through the resizing, but I guess they are OK. The reel in the picture is an Okuma Metaloid 15 with a HOF custom St. Croix rod. The lure is a 1/32 oz. hair jig un-tipped fished 2 ft. below a bobber.

Yes, it’s lots of fun to catch these panfish!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Mike. Did you get a chance to get out this weekend? Are the crappies still hitting jigs in the wood at Lake Zumbro? Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Bill,

No fishing for me this weekend.
    It sounds like the crappies on Zumbro are still deep, with wood being a likely preference. There are still some stripers and catfish being caught on Zumbro, not to mention nice bluegills. I have not had any reports, but this time of the year can also produce some musky’s.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.