Okuma Reels-Rods-Plastics=Fall Fishing!!!

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Just came from Hooked On Fishing and picked up another Okuma spinning reel with 7 ball bearings. These reels are only 35.00 and I not only love the price but love the reels. In fact, I have been replacing alot of my old reels with the Okuma reels. They are great. They also have some fancier ones too at alittle bit higher price. With fall coming I figured I’d better get set up properly for casting those ringworms and K-tails for walleyes and bass. Picked up my B-Fish-N plastics last weekend and with the water temps dropping the fall bite will soon be here. Hey Mike, anything you want to share about the reels. I know you have sold alot of them. What type of rod/reel/line set up do you suggest for casting plastics? Thanks, Bill

bassguy
    MANKATO

BILL
    I THINK I’VE GOT THE SAME REEL. IT’S CALLED AN AVENGER (AV15) . I AM REALLY IMPRESSED WITH THIS REEL. IT IS SMALL AND VERY SMOOTH. I VERY RARELY HAVE ANY LINE LOOPING PROBLEMS BECAUSE OF THE EVEN FLOW LINE ROLLER. THIS IS A GREAT CHOICE FOR ULTRA LIGHTS AND LIGHT LINE WALLEYE. GREAT DRAG AND HAS BEEN VERY DURABLE.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Bill,

The only thing I can say about Okuma is WOW! We have sold many Okuma’s this year and the quality is unmatched by any other reels in their price range. They are super smooth, well built, and the drag system is perfect! The size 15 or 20 make great spinning reels for plastics or live bait. The 7BB Avenger model you referred to is $35, the 7BB Trophy Pro model is $50, the 10BB Epixor is $65, and the 10BB Metaloid is $80. I have had several people compare the Metaloid to some of the $400+ reels on the market. The best way you can appreciate these reels is come in and see one!

Good Fishing,

Mike

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

I’ll have to agree on the Okuma reels. I switched all of my rods over the spring to the Epixor, and have loved it. They have seen quite a bit of use so far… and NOT ONE problem. I’d highly recommend these reels to anybody.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I use the AV15 for jigging as its so light weight I can jig it all day on a St. Croix rod and it doesn’t get heavy at all. I use the AV20 for casting jigs and cranks as it a alittle bit bigger reel and holds more line. Like Mike said, these reels are WOW! And both of these reels are only 35.00 each. Really love em. Thanks, Bill

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Oops… I have the Insipra’s…. not the Epixor. Jeez… been using them all year and couldn’t remember the model.

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

I have to chime in here also. I had always been a Shimano guy, and had been starting to have some trouble with them so I started to investigate other brands. Okuma was about the only one that I found that had the qualities that I wanted , and the price I could afford. WOW…….what a great product!! I started with the Epixor, and found it to be super smooth and a great drag. I then decided to try the Avenger, and found it to be almost as good a reel as the Epixor, yet cheaper in price. I now use the Avenger on about 6 rods, the Epixor on 3, and still use my favorite reel of all times, the Penn Priion on one rigging rod. All in All, the Okuma line gets my vote for “Reel MVR” of the year.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Guys, this is great info. I’m going to be looking for a couple new reels for next spring for my wife and I. Going to need spinning reels and I’ve decided to invest in a pair of line-counter reels as well. Does Okuma make line counter reels as well and if so, what’s the report on those.

Thanks,

Wade

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Wade-
    Yes, they do make line counters. I believe they are called Magda, or something to the like. I’ve heard that alot of guys like them, compared to the Daiwas.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Okuma has at least 2 models of line counters. I’ve heard nothing but good comments on them.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

tigertrout

I have two Okuma line counters and love ’em. They were a little less money than the Diawa’s and seem to work just as well. I liked the line counters so much I bought a spinning reel last month. I do not think I will buy another brand for quite some time. One of the smoothest reels I have ever owned.

BASS9

I’m am interested in getting started in fly fishing. Does any one know of any good beginning starter kits? Where can I find them. I’m on a limited budget so I have to look for some lower prices. Hope to hear from someone soon.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Good info guys. I’ll be looking into Okuma for next spring. I won’t be driving by Hooked on Fishing anytime soon however. Are these widely distributed? I have to admit I have not heard much about them in my area.

Thanks,

Wade

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Wade they have been on the market about 3 yrs now. I know that CSI and Robinson Wholesale distribute them so they should be easy to find.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Wade, this will give you an excuse to come up and see us all in Minnesota or you could probably talk Mike into shipping you some reels. Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Stopped in to see Mike today, he was gone fishing, and picked up some jigs [fall fishing is here] and just had to get another Okuma spinning reel too. Sure love em. Nice and light and work great. Am replacing my heavy reels with these lighter ones and it sure makes jigging all day alot easier. Thanks, Bill

northeastern
    Rochester, MN

I just picked up an Okuma this morning from Mike.
    Mikes prices are competative on these reels.
    For more info you can go to Okumas web page at http://www.okumafishing.com/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.