Lake Zumbro

• newt
    Pillager, MN

I tried the bass last night on Lake Zumbro, things were pretty slow. Saw alot of smaller fish (probably carppies or white bass) on the graph. My partner caught one largmouth and I missed a couple of fish. Hoping things pick up out there.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

my experince with lake zumbro is that it’s more of a spring and fall type lake. i’ve never had much luck out there in the summer. the river is where you want to be in the summer.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Newt and Jake,

I tend to agree with Jake’s statement in regard to Zumbro being more difficult to catch fish in the summer. The fish are still able to be caught however! The best bet for me in summer is early morning or later evening. The catfish are often worth fishing when other species are tough, they are aggressive and there are some monsters. It is usually possible to find panfish suspended over deep water in the summer, but sometimes the recreational traffic makes it really tough…..
    It is also the best opportunity to catch a summer time musky anywhere around Rochester.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

musky’s…. around rochester…. HMMMMMM???

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

By the sounds of Jakes post I’d bet his eyes under those sun glasses just lit up as big as his smile!!! And all in the Rochester area too. We just don’t realize how lucky we are. Thanks, Bill

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The user registered as elkmantom fishes Lake Zumbro regularly for cats and just creams the big channels on cut bait mid-summer. From photos I’ve seen the average size is pretty darn good.

newt
    Pillager, MN

Sounds like I might need to deviate from the bass for awhile and maybe try and snag a big musky . I’m headin up north this weekend…maybe in a week or so I’ll give it a try. Any suggestions? I haven’t fished much for musky.

hof
    Rochester, MN

I don’t think you need to do anything outside of normal stuff for musky’s. Large baits – either real big cranks, spoons, spinners, etc. Work shorelines, points, and bays. Don’t be surprised if you catch a 20 lb. northern either!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

hey bill, …..lets just say i caught the biggest fish of my life 15 mins from my house.

i’ve caught a couple beast channel cats in the early spring fishing for crappies in about a foot of water. really fun on an ultralight . i’ve been meaning to go try for them this summer but can’t think of where they would be. do you fish for them right in the middle of the channel or what?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Jake, I’m not much of a cat man but heres where I have caught them. Fishing real close to shore where there is a hole between 1st. and 2nd. bays below fishermans inn. Between the 2nd bay and the start of the houses at Postiers Point there use to be some stick ups that we caught cats at. At the side of the point at Postiers Point was good too. Haven’t done this kind of fishing for years down there. Also use to catch some in the bays down from Fishermans Inn on the other side of the river. These weren’t big cats, just small ones, but alot of fun on panfish rods. Someone once told me that he use to catch cats at night sitting on the shore between Sandy Point boat ramp and the bridge casting out and waiting for them. If you try it and catch some, let us know how you did and on what. Hey Mike, any pointers for catching cats at Lake Zumbro? Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

I always accidentally catch at least one cat when I’m there, so I figure they are pretty much all over – oh well, maybe around points, or bays. I think the people who intentionally fish for them use sucker meat, or prepared catfish bait – and often the more smelly, the better. I would try using a heavy weight rod and reel, use a big weight, big hook, lots of bait, and fish close to some deeper water off a point.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Mike. Anyone else catching cats out there. Would sure like to hear about your experinces of catching them or any other fish too. Thanks, Bill

bassguy
    MANKATO

NEWT, IF YOUR HITTING MILLE LACS, TRY THROWING A BIG JERK WITH A BRIGHT WHITE BELLY. LOOK OUT FOR A FEW BIG WALLEYE FOLLOWS ALSO. YOU CAN ALSO THROW A DARK TOPWATER PROP BAIT AS LONG AS THE WATER TEMP IS ABOVE 55

bassguy
    MANKATO

NEWT, TRY A BLACK AND BLUE 3/8 OR 1/2 JIG WITH CRAW TRAILER AND RATTLES. MY BUDDY AND I TOOK 3RD PLACE IN THE TUESDAY NIGHT TOURNEY A FEW WEEKS BACK USING THIS OFF OF RATTLESNAKE POINT. LET IT DROP ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM IN 14-20 FOOT. SLOW RETREIVE. SOLID 2.5 LB FISH. DIDN’T GET THE 5 POUNDER THAT USUALLY IS THERE. IF THE FISH ARE MORE ACTIVE, USE A SHAD COLOR CRANK WITH RATTLE THAT DIVES TO 10 FEET. WATCH OUT FOR THE 8LB CATFISH ON THIS BAIT HOWEVER.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome aboard Jeffrey. Thanks for sharing and keep a postin. Its much more fun when we all get involved. Thanks, Bill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.