Lake Zumbro Crappies?

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Has anyone heard how the crappies are biting on Lake Zumbro? What methods are working best and how deep? Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Bill,

Just talked with a guy that did well on crappies and gills at Zumbro yesterday afternoon. They found the fish in deep water, about 15 ft. on steep drops from the shoreline. 1/16 oz. jigs tipped with waxies worked best. Later in the day just before dark, has been producing some crappies up shallow along the submerged wood on the shoreline and also in Ryan’s Bay.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Mike. Hows the artificial bait bite been? Do you have a good supply of small jigs and maybe some tube jigs or plastic tails a guy can pick up at your store to catch those fish on? Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Bill,

The small plastics like tubes and twisters, or small hair jigs work well for crappie and bluegills all summer and fall right until the water freezes. They require a little more skill than live bait, but can be well worth the effort.
    Yes, we have a full line of panfish baits and jigs.

Good Fishing,
    MIke

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Mike, does the comment: they require alittle more skill than live bait mean they are tooooo hard for me to use???? Just had to say something on that one, couldn’t resist. Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Sorry Bill,

No, I didn’t intend that remark toward anyone. I have noticed that many fisherman who like to fish for crappies are somewhat reluctant to use plastics. I think it boils down to a confidence sort of thing. Nothing wrong with using live bait!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Sure Mike! I’m suppose to believe that hey?! lol. I wonder which color plastic really works the best?- The ones Mike Fischer showed me or the ones you showed me? Remember I bought them both. [inside joke, they were both the same color but each said theirs was the best]. I use to fish maribou jigs [cast and troll] down there alot when Nate was small and caught alot of crappies and even strippers but haven’t done that for along time. Guess I need to get back to the fun relaxed plain o’l good fishing that I use to enjoy. Things were simple and fun. Not so high tech then like things get now. After I get done prefishing Iowa with Nate and then the MWC prefishing with him as hes fishing it in Sept. at Lake City, I’ll need to get down there and do some more fishing. Might even sneek down Sat. am for a bit this weekend. Thanks, Bill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.