Lake Zumbro

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Mike, I hear the strippers [white bass] are hitting pretty good right now. I have always had good luck with rooster tails or crankbaits trolled behind the boat. In fact even white or chartruse plastics will work too. What lures/techniques do you feel would work the best right now? Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Bill,

Yes, stripers are runnning right now!
    There are a couple technigues I use when looking for these brutes, and it really comes down to something as simple as looking shallow or deep.
    For shallow fish, flashing lures are hard to beat. If the fish are rght at the surface, small jigs in yellow or white or pink seem to always produce. If you need more casting distance than small jigs allow, try something heavier like a rooster tail, or any type of spinner or spoon. One of my personel favorites on shallow stripers is a size 7 Rapala Rattlin Rap. This lure gives weight to cast farther and allows a fast retrieve. It also sinks quickly if you let it and allows a variety of depths to be worked, and the bonus is that it often produces those surprise fish – northerns, largemouth, smallmouth, even crappies.
    If the fish are deep, the options turn toward either deep running cranks or a sinking lure (like the rattlin rap) which are easy to control at depths beyond 15 ft. Live bait like fathead minnows can be a great tickets when fish are deep.
    You gotta love the stripers – what a cooperative fish!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.