Lake Zumbro – No Wake Confusion

• Dave G
    Rochester, MN

http://www.rpu.org/environment/lake_zumbro/ tells the water level.
    Example: The Lake Zumbro Water Level was 920.78 ft., or approximately 0.8 ft. above the crest on 03/27/07 at 7:33:01 AM.

http://www.co.olmsted.mn.us/parks/lake_zumbro_status.asp tells if the no wake rule is in effect
    The “Slow, No Wake” status is enacted when the water level reaches 921.00.
    The “Slow, No Wake” status is terminated when the water level drops to 920.50.
    According to these above two website the No Wake rule should be in affect and the website stated that.

But on 3/26 the Sandy Point DNR ramp did NOT have the No Wake sign up. Other boats that launched out of the different ramps apparently did not have their No Wake signs up as every boat that I saw was up on plane. I was up on plane and going by the signs at the ramp rather than the internet.

I am now a bit confused as to when the no wake is really in effect at Lake Zumbro. Anyone know for sure?

Dave Gulczinski

brad_gravenhof
    Rochester MN

I have always gone by the signs and bouys at the ramps for no wake status.
    One can’t always check a website before heading to the lake.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I subscribe to the website that says when there is a No Wake in effect meaning they e-mail a notice to me. I have NOT received any notice. I have NOT seen any signs which is what anglers should be able to go by [sign up saying No Wake at ramp if its no wake]. People don’t go to a website to see if the lake has a Wake or No Wake in effect. Some people don’t even have a computer. So how would they even know if not for signs at ramps. Something goofy here in my opinion. I will check into it and report back.
    Thanks, Bill

Wake/No Wake Website

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Just got a call from the Sgt. from the Sheriffs office. He didn’t know if there was one in effect or not. He said he would check the website to see if there is and check to see where the signs are. He said the signs are flip down signs and they had a couple stolen. If and when there are signs up , please no one take them even though they can make you angry that they say No wake. No wake just means that really, no wake. We can still fish just have to drive real slow so we don’t cause a wake. I would hate to see someone fined because theres a no wake and the person didn’t know it because there was no sign. I don’t personally see why there is a no wake up on the site. We haven’t had any heavy rains and even the ice melt couldn’t of raised the level that high I would think. Over reaction? I don’t know. But showing a no wake on the website with nobody putting signs up at the ramp doesn’t seem correct for some reason. Not much news from the Sheriffs office either as they didn’t know and the gal I talked to first when I called didn’t think there was a no wake in effect either.
    Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

There was a no-wake in effect when the water came up from the big warm-up, but it should not be in effect now with the lake only .7 above crest. Got to believe that someone forgot to remove it.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

You want to go by what the bouys tell you and if the signs at the ramps are down to indicate the rule being in effect.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Tom, have you seen anything at the ramps indicating a no wake is in effect? Most people only have what ”is at the ramps” to be informed if there is a no wake or not. Who goes to a website to check to see if theres a no wake or not before they go fishing. Basicly, no one does. Nobody checks for that before going fishing. If its not marked at the ramp or marked on the water then people, of course, think theres NOT a no wake in effect. And thats just normal. But yet they post on their website that there is a no wake so thats where the confusion comes in. It must be an error on their website if its not posted at the ramp and on the water would normally be thought I would believe. Somebodsy forgot to change it on their website?

Thanks, Bill

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

No, Bill. There has been no indication that the lake is under the rule at this time….signs closed, no bouys.

At each point of entry, public or private ramps matters not, there is a sign that folds down. This sign is identical in size to a no-parking sign. They are hinged at the bottom with a simple keeper pin at the top. The local trustees who set out the bouys also drop the signs to the open position which clearly indicates that the water is under a no wake. These signs are closed when the bouys are removed.

And to be clear….NO WAKE means exactly that from ALL watercraft. Jet Heads included. Operation at no-wake means that nothing more than an idle while in gear.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Tom. Just talked to Randy Brock [KTTC Weatherman] this morning and he said it looks like some heavy rain coming Friday. Now my first chance to get on the water with a boat will be this weekend and watch we will have a no wake on the lake. lol. Just my luck probably. Oh well, I can still fish there. Come on weekend. I need a open water fishin fix very bad.
    Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Thanks Tom. Just talked to Randy Brock [KTTC Weatherman] this morning and he said it looks like some heavy rain coming Friday. Now my first chance to get on the water with a boat will be this weekend and watch we will have a no wake on the lake. lol. Just my luck probably. Oh well, I can still fish there. Come on weekend. I need a open water fishin fix very bad.
    Thanks, Bill

Wow Bill, not many people have their own private TV weatherman!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Bill…

When life gives you lemons….., one of the things I have noticed over the many, many years of fishing on this lake is that people do not “really” fish it. Way too much time is spend tearing from one spot to another simply because 300 fish didn’t show themselves at the first spot. Use the high water time with the “no wake” in effect to fish in the slowest mode you can.

For years I fished the Zum from a canoe with an electric. Some of the most notable trips I have ever made were when the water was high, dropped in temp, muddy to a fault, and full of junk from run-off. And all of that from the canoe. Use this time to work on some slower presentation techniques and thoroughly work the water column. Target some specific structure. Right now it does not require a ton of movemnet across the water to locate and capitalize on crappies. It takes a sound approach to the fishing itself and that cannot be done with the outbaord running. Period.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Wow Bill, not many people have their own private TV weatherman!

And he even comes to see me with the weather forecast. [he brings me the Trout Unlimited newsletter to print]

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Bill…

When life gives you lemons….., one of the things I have noticed over the many, many years of fishing on this lake is that people do not “really” fish it. Way too much time is spend tearing from one spot to another simply because 300 fish didn’t show themselves at the first spot. Use the high water time with the “no wake” in effect to fish in the slowest mode you can.

For years I fished the Zum from a canoe with an electric. Some of the most notable trips I have ever made were when the water was high, dropped in temp, muddy to a fault, and full of junk from run-off. And all of that from the canoe. Use this time to work on some slower presentation techniques and thoroughly work the water column. Target some specific structure. Right now it does not require a ton of movemnet across the water to locate and capitalize on crappies. It takes a sound approach to the fishing itself and that cannot be done with the outbaord running. Period.

Exactly Bud. Thats why I spent part of last night rigging up a transducer on my front trolling motor for my Vexilar. Don’t have the juice hooked up yet so this weekend or so will see the unit used in the blue ice fishing pack/cover but thats fine as the trolling motor type transducer is on the trolling motor like I mentioned. Crappies like to suspend and I plan to work them in that area also. Plus it works great for working structure and see if you can raise fish up out of that structure to commit to biting. Just like we do in ice fishing. Nice and slow is how we learn the structure is absolutely correct. Thanks for sharing. Reminders are always great advice because like you say, alot of times we move too fast. Another reason why I have my jon boat – for back to basics for fishing and fun. I have never, but sometimes thought about, but have never tried a canoe as I would probably tip it over with my weight.

Thanks, Bill

ps. no lemons Bud, just a reason to slow down like you say.

ps again. Talkin about slow. You see see how my half powered jon boat [rated for a 20 but only a 9.9 hp motor on it] goes with HOF and me in it. The word is: SLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW! Can’t understand why Mike doesn’t like it. Great boat for small places, squeezing into wood [falled trees], great for backwater areas, great for vertical jigging with the rear trolling motor, and lots of fun.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I think I might have angered my personal weatherman [sorry] cause now hes saying rain on Saturday too instead of just Friday [today]. He claims he wants rain now so we have nice clean water in the streams come June [hes a trout fisherman]. Sorry for whatever I did to anger you Bud [didn’t realize you were so sensitive]. [] DA [Dave] please help me calm him down so theres no rain on Saturday [please]. ALL help is needed. [ ]. But if it rains then too we will just have to figure out away to outfox him….but yet hes still a fisherman….so I guess either way I’ll have to be nice… …so how about it Bud, can we have the rain end Friday night [tonight, pretty please]. By the way if anyone has ever thought about learning how to trout fish on streams Trout Unlimited is a great fishing organization and club to join. Theres some really great fishermen and great guys in there who are from this area. DA [Dave Anderson] belongs and is on the IDA Staff. And Randy Brock [KTTC Weatherman] is a member too.
    Thanks, Bill

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Rain isn’t the worst thing but I would like to ask that there is no lightening! please please

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

What……………………? You don’t care for that bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt, followed by atingling sensation and a BOOM?

Gotta agree with you though. Wind is one thing. Rain is one thing. Lightning….nada. Just a plain old bad idea.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

The no wake is officially cancelled. But just in time for the weather mans new forcast. 1-3 inches of snow today, 3-6 inches tonight, and up to 1 inch of snow tomorrow. BUT no snow for Thursday which is the first HOF Leaque Event. So get your tackle ready, reels lined with new line, hooks sharpened, and gas up the boat. [gee…my tank is empty and nothings in the boat yet so maybe I better get busy ] This is the latest I can ever remember not being on the water. Must be sick. Every day I had planned to get on the water to make sure everything is working correctly we either get a bunch of rain, very high winds or snow. Anyway the fun starts this Thursday. Even if you aren’t a competitve person, and you don’t have to be, to fish these events. I’m planning on fishing them just to be plain o’l fishin. I plan to search out and learn new areas, experiment with different plastics and plastic/minnows baits, and just have fun. I could care less where I stand in the standings, I’m not there to compete, just wanna fish and have fun. You can do that too. Just show up to fish, have fun, make some new friends and see old friends, and have a good time. No matter what your reasons are to be there it will be fun. Every day on the water is fun. And these events are events that its ok if you fish them all or just fish a few. Doesn’t matter, just come when you can and they are scheduled for every Thursday so easy to remember. See you on the water.

Thanks, Bill

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.