Winona Ice/Slush Report

• VikeFan

I was out at Bartlett Lake, AKA the airport lake, in Winona this morning. Contrary to the dire reports I have read for the area, I found the slush to be no problem in the morning. There was a couple of inches of hard-packed ice/snow on top, four or five inches of mostly hard slush below that, and then about 18″ of good hard ice.

The sunfish bite was OK, with a few nice ones mixed in with the little fish. The panfish were finicky, but I expected that. The tip-up bite was non-existent for me. One family running seven tip-ups by my count managed one small bass, and as I left a dogfish hit someone’s rig.

By the time I left the slush was becoming a nuisance to haul gear through, but it wasn’t too bad. I am going to hit it early again tomorrow, and that will be the end my ice-fishing for this year.

BTW…I drove through downtown Winona, and when did Bullseye become Stingers? I got my BA at WSU, and Bullseye was one of the fixtures there–it just goes to show that I have been out of town for a while now…

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the report. What presentaion and lures/bait worked best for you?
    Thanks, Bill

deckhand
    Rochester, MN

Nice report Vikefan. I was down at Minnesota City boat harbor on Friday and Monday. While I did see 5 northerns come thru the ice, the biggest being 9.5# I myself didn’t hook into anything. The Ice is some were in the 17 to 22 inch range. However the slush pockets are starting to creep up everywhere. The end is near.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.