early crappie spawn?

• crappies

just trying to get peoples opinon’s on how this warm weather will effect the crappie spawn. i personaly can catch them here and there but not bunched up yet. with this weather you would think that pre spawn is right around the corner. ive also noticed the crappie that i am catching have very few eggs in them. i like taking a little mess home but i always try to take the males and the let the big females go for better stock down the road.im not an expert or anything but i think this low water, low snow amounts and recored breaking weather this years spawn will not be a good one.any thoughts?

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

It’s gonna be a very early spawn and I actually think it will be a very good one. From what I have seen with the Northerns already spawned, the crappies should be following up. I think the window this year to catch them spawning and shallowis going to be very minimal.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Remember that the big shallow push of crappies in the spring is pre spawn. They spawn late May into June like Bluegills. They need sustained 65 plus water temps and the right length of sun light etc.

Mwal

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

Indeed I am aware of that. Water temps are already in the 60’s down here too.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

On our lake here I don’t expect it to be too soon. I would think it will be a little early if this weather holds but as posted above there is more to triggering a spawn than just water temps

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

Quote:

Indeed I am aware of that. Water temps are already in the 60’s down here too.

what lake has water in the 60s?
    best I can find is 51 in a very shallow lake

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

Geneiva was 61 last sunday morning. Down by Albert Lea, the northern have already spawned in that lake. I was with the DNR trap netting them.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Maybe seperate the northerns and the crappies here. Northerns will spawn under ice if they need to. Crappies need several things to get it done.

Water temp is only one factor. Chances are very good that the SURFACE temp can be quite high during the daytime, however water at the core of the lake or river or whatever is still lots, lots colder. I doesn’t pay to get all whooped up about a crappie spawn happening any time soon.

Another factor that stands in your way here is available light, or better, the length of daylight in each day. We are still gaining light, but we’re nowhere near where it has to be for spawning even at its earliest. The available light is what signals the fish’s endocrine system to start making hormones to help ripen the spawn. Sotuthern waters warm much quicker than our waters do, and the southrn states experience longer days before we do so the spawn is earlier there.

Cold rains, rising and/or high water, and dirty water all can affect the spawning habits of crappies.

All this warm weather is nice but as far as crappies spawning you’ll have to wait. Besides, you should fish something else while crappies are spawning so you don’t disturb them.

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

I was just going to say that Tom. The old body clocks are not near ready on those crappies. It will be a while yet…..

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

So how’s the river Meister? We were at Alma today fighting current and crud. Didn’t do too well, but did hook up on an unknown but mostly a huge cat. After 8 minutes or so not being able to get the critter more than three or four feet off bottom it made one hard run and snapped the 4 pound crystal. Would have been fun just to see it but I’d have had to get the thing to the surface.

In three hours we never saw a fish caught.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

I’m going to say spawn might happen a week early max just my opinion

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I can see a week early based on the average date of spawning. Over a month, nada. Gotta remember where we live. In this state the weather can flip switches faster than cats can bat a mouse. A little snow or cold rain followed by a week of NORMAL temps will sink the water temp to its norm in a blink.

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

I haven’t been out much. Busy with family. My friends have been doing well. There picture mails last night had me drooling.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

lol. I wish I could get back in the walleye swing of things a bit more than I do. I like my fall and early winter jigging and that keeps me satisfied enough.

You’ll have tourneys pretty quick, eh?

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

No….none for me this year. I usually do the FYBO but that didn’t even work out. I have 4 weeks off between end of May and mid August. Lots of time at my wifes parents new cabin on vermilion. I got my 7 year old hooked on ice fishing this winter. He loves casting so I got to find some fish for him to catch and get him hooked on the boat to. So I’ll get plenty of fishing in this summer. The first week I have off in May I’ll get a lot of time in on pepin to.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.