cascade lakes

• angleanddangle88

i have fished hear in the summmer but i dont know if it is safe on ice and r the walleye rumors true??/

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

i have fished hear in the summmer but i dont know if it is safe on ice and r the walleye rumors true??/

What rumors ?

angleanddangle88

i have checked some other websites and they said they have caught walleye there! idk if its true and there is two lakes so idk which 1 the walleye r in

drew-evans
    rochester MN

there are at least four lakes and a channel that hold fish that is safe to ice fish, and for the walleye rumors, i have herd first hand from freinds of mine that have caught small eyes there about a year and a half ago right before last winters freeze up. they caught them in the small river that leaves the lake though.

Reptiles21

There is a creek that connects 2 of the lakes, this is probably the best bet for the walleyes. There is another lake that is separate from the creek, probably not a lot of fish in there. I know there was talk about building the area into a big part and adding walleye to the area, including that separate pond. All I’ve ever caught there is panfish and bass. Good luck!

angleanddangle88

ok so all i have fished is the two big lakes so how do iget to this creek that has walleye? from the big lakes

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

To date there has been no admission by the DNR or the City of Rochester regarding the stocking of walleyes. There has been talk that this will happen as soon as the lake system gets turned over to the city and the park system. The creek is actually Cascade creek and flows into the Interlachen Lake from under 2nd Street. It runs over a dam where it merges with the larger of the lakes and runs in a small channel until the lake widens. Anyone looking to cash in on a walleye bonanza can comb their hair back in place since it won’t happen out there. The Zumbro River between Silver Lake and Lake Zumbro has some walleye in it now and people are getting a few waldos on the lake. Last fall there was a decent run of walleyes in the river and quite a few people fishing the section of water upstream from the 37th Street Bridge. I’ve tossed jigs each day for three days now where the Cascade and Zumbro River meet and today finally got one waldo about 17 inches, but man was that fish skinny.

On the Cascade system…..they are still actively mining sand from one of the lakes and until that mining stops there isn’t going to be much more developement on the future park nor on any stocking as I understand it. Walleyes are supposed to be one of the fish considered for the stocking program, but they haven’t happened yet. That’s not to say that some mid-night fish enhancement may not have happened though.

angleanddangle88

ok well where u caught this walleye where was it in relation to the mayo parking lot that is where i usually park. is it ice fishable?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Not very far downstream from the dam at Silver Lake. Haveing been stocked in Lake Zumbro a couple years ago, they are frequently caught up this far now.

angleanddangle88

so there is no chance for any walleye at cascade because some other guys i have talked to said they had caught walleyes from shore this past summer. and if not can i find solid pike/crappie fishing there????

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m suggesting that there has been no formal stocking of walleyes in the Cascade complex as yet. Someone may have put a few in there on their own, but the dnr hasn’t done any stocking yet, at least none thats been made public.

Crappies are in there in good numbers but the size leaves a bit to be desired as does the size of the run of the mill sunfish. Bass can get pretty chunky and I haven’t see a pike caught out there ever, but then again they might be in there.

Silver Creek is another place where the dnr said very specifically that they had NOT stocked any fish after the reservoir had filled, but it was loaded with nice crappies and pike when people began to fish it. How’d those fish get there? Good question, no answers. Again, probably the midnight stocking brigade doing things outside of what the dnr does. It could be the same in Cascade, but who knows for certain.

angleanddangle88

ok well im looking forward to going this weekend do you recommend any specific spots

ProStaffSteve

Hello Community,

I am an accidental foremost expert on this body. So, I have caught 1one 14” walleye on this lake directly on the spill-over, small gold crank bait. This was about 8-9 years ago, Which made me feel old at 24 😅. Back in the day there were TONS of bass in the system. Several hit the 4-5 lb mark. Ice fishing near the stream yielded easy crappie fishing, limit five. Unfortunately the crappies are the only thing that holds true today. Presently, OCCASIONAL 3.5lb bass get caught on Cascade and Interlachen. Small small mouth are frequently caught on both lakes, target current areas. A new or new-to-me revelation are the heavy white bass populations. Last year, Aug 2019, we pulled several on cranks. The larger crappie in the system will fall for these as well 11”. Over all the lake is a poop puddle though. Good spots regularly fill with silt, big fish are too skinny. Would love to see the lake o. The opposing side get properly filled and moved to C & R or something. I used to catch big yellow perch and gills on that side.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I fish those lakes in winter probably a dozen times per year and over the course of the last 5 years. Almost all are connected now since they opened the birm that now connects the big lake on the east side. I’ve gotten some BIG crappies out there but never seen eyes or white bass.

Crappie
    LM
    Perch
    Gillz
    Bullheads
    Big azz sucker

Going to get a camera down there this winter if the vis is doable. As far as I know there isn’t much structure especially in the south lake. Sharp breaks in the east lake and seen it get to 35′ deep. Would be fun to autochart that lake! Hopefully the DNR don’t put a public boat launch there!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Crappie
    LM
    Perch
    Gillz
    Bullheads
    Big azz sucker

I’ll add carp, then totally agree.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>
    Crappie
    LM
    Perch
    Gillz
    Bullheads
    Big azz sucker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>
    Crappie
    LM
    Perch
    Gillz
    Bullheads
    Big azz sucker

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180122_181459_199.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I know eye. Several years ago I ice fished one of the lakes and caught some sumo crappies off a mid-lake hump in real deep water. I think the hump was an anomaly from the dredge, but it held those very nice fish. From a canoe the next spring we were not able to locate the nice ones anywhere in that lake and it was still separated from the other lakes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.