Summer technique for Zumbro

• 72starcraft
    Rochester, MN

As the middle of Summer is nearing and the fish bite is really starting to slow down I was just wondering what people are trying to keep the fish biting. Was out the other evening and tried different set-ups to see what was biting and only came across the cats and one nice 30in carp but neither one I was trying to catch. Wouldn’t mind landing a nice Pike or Bass so I was just wondering what’s been working for people.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I have been know to play around with a slip bobber set-up using 5-7″ suckers once in awhile out there.

I just searched for the deeper holes that had marks

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

For the pike I’d leave any bait in the tank and throw some artificials. Lipless cranks that get deep are good choices and maybe even a spinnerbait that’s allowed to sink a ways before retrieving. I’d be throwing these on deep water where some wood or brush extends down deep in the water. The outside edges of the deep wood would be my first target.

Try along the highbanks. If you are facing thew old hanger from the water, to the left a little ways there is some sunken wood that the pike seem to enjoy….think crappies and sunfish there. Actually that whole shore back towards Ryan’s bay will be good pikee water as long as you can mark some sunken structure.

Rattlesnake has somem deep wood in a couple places that can produce pike. Traveling downstream from Fishermans towards Rattlesnake, that very first major point on your right has a deep break and that alone can be pretty decent pike water. Try working out away from shore about 50 feet and follow the shoreline in towards the corner of that bay.

I hate to say it, but mornings will treat you nicer out there. I’m assuming you either have evenings free or you prefer to fish them. PPike will settle down over night and as the panfish set up for feeding in the early hours with a low sun angle on the water the pike take advantage of the eats they offer.

72starcraft
    Rochester, MN

Appreciate the advice guys. I’ll be heading out on Monday after the weekend rush of boaters is over. I’ll keep everybody posted. Hopefully with some good pics.

fireline
    Rochester

Where is Rattlesnake and high bank ?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Fireline….

If you launch from Fishermans and run straight downstream you’ll see a broad bay about a half mile down. Looking straight ahead as soon as the channel broadens there you’ll see a house way up on the hill with some steps that come all the way down to the lake. From those stairs and to your right is what is referred to as Rattlesnake. If you run right up to those stairs and point your boat along the shore, still facing downstream, you’ll be looking at the Highbanks across the lake. The Higbanks run for almost a half mile along that shore.

fireline
    Rochester

Thanks Tom ,would that be on your right side before you get to Ryan’s bay point ? The house with very little for tree’s ?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

As you leave the Fishermans launch and travel downstream towards the dam, you’ll pass three small bays on your left. The last bay has a large, complex dock in it. As you move along you’ll note houses begin and the water opens way up. Rattlesnake is the shore to your right, across the water and straight ahead to that long set of stairs. At the end of the houses on the left you’ll find what is called Postiers Point. When you look at the Highbanks straight ahead from the stairs, the shore line to your right will swing out and around and has quite a few homes on it but doesn’t seem to have a defined point or corner to follow until you get maybe ten or twelve places down the way and you pass the fancy brown place with the huge garage [aircraft hangar]. I call the Neitz’s Point. Staying on that shoreline will run you right into Ryans Bay.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

tom is awesome!! always willing to offer advice….ever see any musky in the lake up there??? those spots u named would prolly b good ski spots as they are the TOP predator. can’t wait for the water to go down and i’ll be back on the river!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I see some small muskies in many of the areas I mentioned. By small I mean under 26 inches or so. I don’t see any larger muskies unless what looks like a pike at depth could be one. I do see a ton of fish chase a hooked panfish but turn while still fairly deep. Who knows. Pike will come right up to the surface and smoke a sunfish at boatside. I’ve had that happen a bunch of times. The muskies that chase a hooked pannie generally will not hit it….just a quick look-see long enough to identify it and then back down.

Many of these summer areas will have large bass that will hammer a sunfish that’s hooked. I don’t fish line over 4 pound test on the Zumbro and often only 2 pound so when I do get tangled up with the more robust fish after hitting a sunfish I have a heck of a time getting them even to a net. Happens once in a while but not often.

At this time of year I like to toss small crappie cranks and the toothies are hell on my supply of those baits. Maybe a Big “N” or one of the bulkier Raps would be a productive bait in a sunfish pattern.

kander1

So has anyone spent the time to put together a map that shows all these landmarks you guys talk about? I talked to a friend of mine who lives out that way and he has never seen one. Thought it was a good idea.
    What do you guys think?

72starcraft
    Rochester, MN

Largemouth caught this last Monday on Zumbro. 3lbs 17in.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.