Robin's (Burt Ward) Gentle Giant Dog Food

• Jeff Telander

They claim to have dogs that have lived happy healthy lives into their 20s! One dog was 27 years old. That’s crazy!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

They are big dogs too which generally live shorter lives.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Its really hard to take that website seriously. It looks like an Angelfire page from 1996.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Lol, fair point. I am a little cynical, however considering all he has done for dogs, I can’t imagine it being some scam or not something he truly believes in.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I did not look too closely int0 website but I saw no ingredients readily at hand so that gives a red flag up. Though it says grain free.
    As for grain free goes. Looks like there is a problem with these foods that use beets and sweet potato are lacking in some enzymes and nutrients causing heart problems down the road. Usually, by the time symptoms arise It’s too late for the pet. FDA is keeping tabs on the problems arising from this new push for grain-free pet food. Vets are recommending supplements for pets that are fead grain free food.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The ingredients are listed when you go ti each products page (dry, canned, puppy). It’s not grain free either.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Consider me skeptical.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yep, I think we’ll stick with Blue Buffalo. I read reviews of their “rescue” operation and it sounds like Burt is a hoarder and running a puppy mill.

Nevermind, carry on.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

As a guy with giant-breed experience, I know people who have tried the gamut of diets, from dry foods to raw (aka BARF). All of them swear that their method is the best, yet I’ve never known a great dane to live past 11 years, and most are quite a bit shorter than that. I have a very hard time believing that he’s stumbled upon a secret.

Reef W

The dry chicken food is 22% protein and 9% fat which is low compared to most (all?) “premium” foods. I think it’s 1% higher of each than Pedigree which is corn based garbage. I don’t think there is any real science that says grain free is beneficial to dogs and, like 1hl&sinker mentioned, vets are actively warning against it while heart problems are researched more.

Here’s the first 15 ingredients with Dr. Tim’s Pursuit (what I feed, just to compare) on the left and Gentle Giants on the right in bold. Starts out kind of similar but gets weird imo

chicken meal – chicken meal
    brown rice – pearled barley
    pearled barley – brown rice
    whole oat groats – oatmeal
    chicken fat – dried plain beet pulp
    dried plain beet pulp – chicken fat
    dried egg product – natural flavors
    rice bran – whole flaxseeds
    ocean herring meal – fish meal
    catfish meal – dried saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation product
    ground whole flaxseed meal – dried kelp
    chicken liver meal – dried egg product
    dried porcine plasma – dried tomatoes
    salmon meal – dried sweet potatoes
    menhaden fish oil – whole dried peas

haleysgold
    SE MN

When I got my new lab last spring the Vet asked what I was feeding her.
    Science Diet.
    She said that’s one of the good ones so ok.
    I had been feeding Blue Buffalo to my previous lab and was told, NO!
    I guess it’s NOT a favorite among Vets?
    Dunno, I thought it was a good one but not from what I’m hearing.

Sorry, I prolly just hijacked this thread but it looked like Gentle Giants was just buried!

Reef W

I had been feeding Blue Buffalo to my previous lab and was told, NO!
    I guess it’s NOT a favorite among Vets?

They’ve had a lot of recalls in the last ~3 years or so, only thing I know of that might have made the vet afraid of it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

HOLY DOG FOOD BATMAN!!!!

I’ll stick with our wilderness..

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’ll agree in that the web page needs some serious work.

I’m a Diamonds Natural guy.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Someone accused them of having blue diamond manufacture for them. Said the ingredients are basically the same. I don’t know, I didn’t research that.

We use Blue Buffalo

Susan Perreault

I’ve been feeding this to our dogs since I found it a few months ago. Our dogs seem to like it.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

We’ve been feeding our dogs blue buffalo due to the impression that it’s a good one and readily available most places. If anyone has heard reasons vets said no to it I would really like to be aware.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

We’ve been feeding our dogs blue buffalo due to the impression that it’s a good one and readily available most places. If anyone has heard reasons vets said no to it I would really like to be aware.

I’ve only heard good things about blue buffalo.

I’ll add that any dog food, just like our food, may get contaminated. I set up email alerts through Dogfoodadvisor .com

Ice Cap

Our dog is going on 17. She’s a mix breed Brittany and Setter I think. She eats Science Diet but she gets mostly what we eat. Her intake is probably 30% Science Diet and 70% whatever we eat. I asked our vet (He’s a old school horse/farm doctor)about what he recommends for dog food a few years ago. He asked what are you feeding her now? I said some Science Diet but mostly she gets what we eat.

He chuckled and said Same with my dogs just keep doing what your doing. I always keep those foil envelopes of single serve tuna in the cupboard. If we are eating something spicy that I don’t want to give her I dump one of those on top of her food. She loves it and it’s good for her. If you put a bowl of just dry dog food in front of her she wouldn’t know how to act.

Oh I also give her a Synovi G4 soft chew everyday which promotes joint health among other things. I highly recommend these as I think they are a integral part of her good health at nearly 17.

She has complete mobility although she don’t chase cats or rabbits anymore. She can see and hear well enough and eats as much as you’re willing to feed her and control of all her bodily functions. At 17 she’s rather remarkable.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

We feed our dog blue buffalo wilderness. Our vet said the cat version of BB is not very good for cats.
    Blue Buffalo is listed on Dogfoodadvisor as one of the better dog foods.
    If you haven’t been on Dogfoodadvisor site they have some interesting thoughts on food rotation.

ajw

The picture/video on the front page makes me uncomfortable

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

MODS please delete doah

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

The picture/video on the front page makes me uncomfortable

LOL soooo true

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My current dog has been on Nutro Ultra for 7 years. I have no reason to change.

Cynthia Harris

Ive used Nutro max for years with good results. Thanks for the tip on G4 I just ordered it to add to both my dogs daily intake.

Cynthia Harris

I’ve been feeding this to our dogs since I found it a few months ago. Our dogs seem to like it.

Thanks Keith for the tip on Synovi G4 I just ordered it to add to both my dogs daily intake. I have used Nutro max for years with good results, I say stick with what you k ow works for your fur babies.

Cynthia Harris

Thanks Keith, Ive used Nutro max for years with good results. Thanks for the tip on G4 I just ordered it to add to both my dogs daily intake.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.