RIP Toby Keith

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Loved his kick a$$ attitude and his sense of humor.

B-man

Dang, I knew he hasn’t been doing good for a while.

RIP

Dan
    Southeast MN

Definitely an icon. Interesting with his passing and only being 62, as not many singers have passed away where they list their greatest hits and I remember being alive to hear them all come out. With singers before my time I may love their music, but the songs were already there my whole life, if that makes sense. With Toby Keith debuting around 1993 or so I remember the different albums, radio releases, and music videos when they came out.

Also….very, very, very hard to find many others who supported our troops as much as he did, consistently, year after year.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Also….very, very, very hard to find many others who supported our troops as much as he did, consistently, year after year.

Absolutely agree Dan. He was awesome. RIP Toby

big_g
    Isle, MN

RIP Toby. cry

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

good man and good music… RIP………

CaptainMusky

He was a true cowboy and real country singer. You dont see much of either anymore. Rest easy Toby!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

RIP. I thought he was younger than 62. I guess I am just getting older.

Beast

always enjoyed his music, sad to hear of his passing/

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Great dude too!! I used to work security at Country Jam in college…. was able to be on/close to stage with some cool artists…. Toby chatted with ya just like you were one of the guys… I appreciated that. He will be missed.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

RIP Toby. I have been shuffling his songs this morning in tribute.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

An absolute great in music history. His last single, “Don’t let the old man in” will bring a tear to your eye, especially today. I saw Toby many times, but the most memorable was at We Fest around 2012. Right before he was about to come on stage a huge storm rolled thru, and destroyed everything not overly secured. The campgrounds looked like a tornado went through, people were hiding out in any and every permanent structure around. Between the storm and the cleanup after it was probably 2-3 hours later than when he was supposed to take the stage, and no one really expected him to still come on. But sure enough he came out right away and said he still planned on playing his full set, so no one would leave and anyone not there would come back. He ended up partying and playing until like 1-2 am and it was just an absolute riot of a good time. Top 5 concert of all time for me!

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

An absolute great in music history. His last single, “Don’t let the old man in” will bring a tear to your eye, especially today. I saw Toby many times, but the most memorable was at We Fest around 2012. Right before he was about to come on stage a huge storm rolled thru, and destroyed everything not overly secured. The campgrounds looked like a tornado went through, people were hiding out in any and every permanent structure around. Between the storm and the cleanup after it was probably 2-3 hours later than when he was supposed to take the stage, and no one really expected him to still come on. But sure enough he came out right away and said he still planned on playing his full set, so no one would leave and anyone not there would come back. He ended up partying and playing until like 1-2 am and it was just an absolute riot of a good time. Top 5 concert of all time for me!

I remember the storm, and vaguely the concert.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Same age 62 as my Dad when he passed. Too young. Was almost hoping to hear it was an OD or something self induced or a crash of some sort. But read it was stomach cancer never like hearing that from someone his age. Rest easy man, wish I coulda see him play. But will remember the music.

stevenoak

Morning radio station did a tribute this morning. A woman came on with a story. Tobie played a concert in a city near her husbands army base where several soldiers had just returned from the middle east. With short notice. He put on a free concert for all on the base and their families. Afterward he had a huge BBQ for everyone. Unlike other celebrities that would need the world to know they did something like that. It was all about the soldiers and families. They talked about the song Don’t let the old man in. I didn’t realize it was a quote he got from Clint Eastwood. When they were playing golf. When he asked Clint how he kept going at his age. Sad he died so young. We need more people like him these days, not less.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

His last “Don’t let the old man in” performance with his wife watching in tears likely knowing what was on the horizon was something I’ll never forget, and I’m not at all into the music award shows or anything like that. My wife knew it was coming and heard about it, so we tuned in.

You can find it on YouTube and it’s still powerful to watch.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Hit close to home here. My grandfather and an uncle both passed from the same form of cancer. Miserable to watch them deteriorate that way. I can only imagine the affect it has on his family as they could only watch. He went out putting up a hell of a fight and producing music to the end like Cash.

I sent quite a bit of time reading last night about all the charities he did. Amazing how much he gave back!!!

RIP Toby and thanks for all the iconic music and awesome deeds you have done

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I remember the storm, and vaguely the concert.

Hahaha I think that was the case for many of us in attendance, a couple hour delay of just drinking will do that. rotflol

I sent quite a bit of time reading last night about all the charities he did. Amazing how much he gave back!!!

It really was, I believe I saw he did 11 USO tours, and performed in front of over 250,000 troops while they were deployed.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.