Rigging Ultralight Rippin' Raps

• Rich Stuhr
    South Dakota

Picked up a few #3’s today at Scheels to try this winter on perch and crappie through the ice…the plan is to run 4 lb Sufix ice braid, swivel, then a 4 lb fluoro leader. Most of my fishing with these will be hole hopping in less than 20 feet of water, is mono a better option? Do those of you that use this lure like to tie directly or use a small snap? Thanks in advance!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Small snap, don’t know size off hand

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

A snap and swivel. If I’m into changing lures. If I’m feeling dedicated I thread onto the split ring just a swivel.

Rich Stuhr
    South Dakota

Going through the archives I see that removing the split ring and tying directly to the lure might get better results…guess I’ll experiment and find out this winter!

Michael Johnson

I fish them a lot. I get rid of the split ring and tie directly to the line tie. My setup is braid with a floro leader spliced together with a uni to uni knot. #4s are my preferred perch size. #4s still have plenty of fish calling rattle when you rip them. The #3s are a little more finesse and are great for crappies.

Ryan Wilson

I fish them a lot. I get rid of the split ring and tie directly to the line tie. My setup is braid with a floro leader spliced together with a uni to uni knot. #4s are my preferred <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>perch size. #4s still have plenty of fish calling rattle when you rip them. The #3s are a little more finesse and are great for crappies.

I also ditch the split-ring and tie directly on. I just use #3 ice magic though. And you are right, the size 3’s are more of a finesse bait (all of them kind of are) but that’s the glory of the rattles. You can have it both ways. Grab their attention with the rattles then slow it all right down and make your jig cadence deliberate. I’m still hoping that they come out with a size 2 with a single treble on the belly.

milemark_714

I use the K&E speed snaps,with straight braid.Mono/floro works,but if you fish waters infested with pike you will lose some.I also ditch the split ring.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I like mono or copolymer when hole hopping. Frozen braided line is a pain.

Spoons and jigging baits all need a snap.

AnotherFisherman

Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but what is the reasoning for taking off the split ring? Different action? I’ll have to give it a try.

I use a snap on them. I like to quick change lures/colors if something doesn’t go after it. If I have strong confidence in the bait, I may tie directly.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but what is the reasoning for taking off the split ring? Different action? I’ll have to give it a try.

I use a snap on them. I like to quick change lures/colors if something doesn’t go after it. If I have strong confidence in the bait, I may tie directly.

When tied direct, it will reduce some lure action. At the same time, a direct tie also has less hardware and transmit a better hook up response.

In addition a direct tie, if one really isolate the knot on a certain position on the line tie eye, one can also subtly influence the jigging effect of the lure. On spoons it’s easier to manipulate the initial flip effect of the spoon with a direct tie.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.