riding lawn mower batteries

• mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Does anyone get more then a couple years on their lawn mower batteries? If so, what are you using, and do you do anything special to keep your battery good.

I am lucky to get 2 years on a battery before it starts to struggle starting my mower.

huskerdu

3 years max, Fleet Farm brand, 2 years NAPA brand

gary d
    cordova,il

I know one thing that it’s summer time usage is not the trouble but winter time. I use a trickle charger all winter long and it seem to me to get a few more years out of it.

munchy
    NULL

If you can, get the ones you assemble yourself. They seem to last a bit longer.

But the biggest thing is to keep them charged. Install a small battery maintainer onto it and keep it plugged in when not used.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Do you bring it inside during the winter?

I just buy the el cheapo specials at Menards or Fleet farm, but I fully charge them and bring them inside to sit in my heated shop. 3-4 years no problem, even with the $19.99 specials.

Grouse

fishingchallenged

There’s little benefit of buying a more expensive battery. Put the extra money into paying for a Battery Tender. I leave a Battery Tenders on year round. Has doubled the life of my batteries. Two riding lawnmowers, tractor and boat.

I used to pull my trolling batteries out for the winter and keep them inside. Occasionally charging. Now I leave them in and keep the onboard charger plugged in. After 15 years, I’m convinced that I will never bother hauling another set of batteries into my basement again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.