Ridgeline wheelhouse review

• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I have been meaning to write an extensive review for a while but never get to it, so I’m just gonna do something brief since one of my hesitations for getting a ridgeline was the lack of real world reviews. I will happily answer any questions too.

I have had a 14′ + 3’V front heavy hauler wheelhouse for 2 years now and I love it. It fits what I was looking for which is simplicity and year round use. Below is a link to a gallery with pics right after it was finished inside and a few pics with it loaded up. The descriptions explain what I had added and stuff I did. Main thing is I keep it simple and open inside so I can configure whatever I want for different applications (fishing, overnights, camping, hunting, kayaking, hauling stuff). With the exception of insulation and wiring, everything comes out (heat, a/c, battery/inverter, tv, etc.). I have ended up using almost twice a month for camping with a family of 4, ice fishing, and overnight fishing weekends. My model has upgraded wheels, door, toy hauler ramp and some other stuff I can’t remember. Usually for ice fishing I pull it with a sportsman 700. I could fish 4 easy, 6 cramped, and it is a castle for 2. Spray foam insulation is crazy good and I almost don’t need heat sometimes.

Things I like in particular:
    -Lightweight, about 1200lbs empty. I love that I can move it around my driveway by hand.
    -Sets up in about 1min with the lever wheels. It also takes about 5min to unload the quad, hook it up, and be driving towards ice.
    -All aluminum and marine plywood construction so nothing to rust.
    -Simple wiring package and everything else is modular.
    -Axels easily slip out. I haven’t left it unattended yet, but If I did I would just take one or both of the axel/wheels off and toss it in the truck. Sure, anyone can steal anything but they would have to be really invested in stealing it with no wheels and I’m guessing there would be plenty of easier targets. Someday I will (should have already) get some blocks and store it in my driveway with a wheel off too.

The one complaint I can think of is a pretty low ground clearance. Mostly this is just an issue when driving on uneven dirt trails for camping or sites with hills – I have bulldozed a bit of dirt with the front. I have scraped a ramp going onto the ice also.

I would also highly recommend Beberg Outdoors where I purchased it and had the finish work done. Chris gives his personal cell out and thoughtfully answers questions and provides suggestions. I shopped for over 3 years before finally buying and he always took time to write emails or answer questions.

Pics and more descriptions:
    https://imgur.com/a/HJheG

jld
    Holmen

Very nice set up. Looks to be plenty versatile for year round use. I will need to leave this page open on the I-pad so my wife sees it. coffee

gator800r

Very nice setup!! whats the the ball park price on something like that? and whats the minimum ice thickness you would want to take it on?

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I paid about 13k to get it finished to the point of the “empty” pics which includes tax and a lifetime registration (including the catch covers and other materials/labor). That’s another small perk – it is a “shed trailer” not a camper, so $55 registration is good for life.

I intentionally stopped counting once I started buying inverter, tv, mount, catch cover reels, rod holders, hole sleeves, hooks, curtains… Certainly not the cheapest out there but I don’t plan on selling it anytime soon or having to repair rusted stuff. I also could have saved a couple grand doing the work myself as I intended, but I got busy.

I’ve heard people take them out on solid 8″ ice – I’m more conservative. When people are driving still I use my ATV. But the whole rig loaded up with gear and 2 people probably still weighs less than an empty honda civic.

Other things that helped me to finally buy was that they make them 6.5′ wide now instead of 6′ and they added 1″ peaks to the roof instead of flat. People are putting sideways bunks in them now, so if you are a little person that is an option.

Michael Smith
    Fall River, WI

tindall,
    How’s the Ridgeline treating you? I’m ready to buy one from Beberg Outdoors, an 18’er. Anything else to add before I go in debt!

Ice Cap

Very nice! I looked pretty hard at these but the 6.5′ wide just deterred me as I like my elbow room. The price tag was a bit much for me too. Once you get into that $13K+ price range your options really open up. You can get the skid houses in 8′ wide. That extra foot and a half makes a huge difference as far as room inside especially when you’re using it as a sleeper. I really like that you kept it simple for versatility. There’s one on CL the same size as the op that is insulated and pre wired. I think it was $7 grand. Never used and it’s a private party so taxes have already been paid. If somebody is interested search Ridgeline on Mpls. CL.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Is that 13k for the insulated trailer alone? No shelfs or bunks or wall panels or anything?

Ice Cap

Is that 13k for the insulated trailer alone? No shelfs or bunks or wall panels or anything?

Sounds like it. I know the empty Ridgeline heavy haulers start over $8 grand empty no insulation or windows. So you add a couple windows the insulation and pre wired for 12 and 120 volt and that’s what gets you up to $13k or so. Now you still have to outfit it. Like the op says he stopped counting.

Here’s a 21′ Ridgeline completely decked out just under $22k.
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/trb/d/minneapolis-ridgeline-21-ice-fish-toy/6830691583.html

It’s nice but it’s just too narrow for my liking. You get 3 or 4 big boys in there with all their gear and your going to be cramped imo.

Michael Smith
    Fall River, WI

Keith,

That 21′ Ridgeline for sale is the one I’m buying.

I agree with you on the narrow width. Manufacturers say 6.5′ wide, but that’s the outside dimension. I just don’t like the look that the 8′ wide houses have with the recessed wheel wells. My main concern was weight, and the Ridgeline and the Core Ice units are the lightest on the market for a wheel house.

Ice Cap

Keith,

That 21′ Ridgeline for sale is the one I’m buying.

I agree with you on the narrow width. Manufacturers say 6.5′ wide, but that’s the outside dimension. I just don’t like the look that the 8′ wide houses have with the recessed wheel wells. My main concern was weight, and the Ridgeline and the Core Ice units are the lightest on the market for a wheel house.

Congrats on the purchase that’s a nice house to be sure! If Ridgeline made a 8′ wide wheelhouse I’d consider them for sure. The other issue I have is as far as a toy hauler it wouldn’t work for me. I have a Ranger with a hard cab. Once I got it inside the hauler I wouldn’t be able to open the doors and get out of the cab.

What does this rig weigh as it sit there now with it all decked out?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So then you sit in a lawn chain all day and sleep in a cot

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Never mind that black one is a nice looking set up. I personally dont know anything about them but am selling my firebrand and am in the market

Michael Smith
    Fall River, WI

Keith,

The owner weighed this unit a few nights ago. No propane tanks, and one couch missing. 2880lbs.

Ice Cap

Never mind that black one is a nice looking set up. I personally dont know anything about them but am selling my firebrand and am in the market

Why you selling your Firebrand? It’s probably more fish house than what I need but what ya got and how much?

Ice Cap

Keith,

The owner weighed this unit a few nights ago. No propane tanks, and one couch missing. 2880lbs.

Wow that’s good for a 21′! I’m looking at a 8X13 home brew drop down wheels house that’s trimmed out inside as good as I’ve ever seen in knotty pine. Fishes 4 and sleeps 3 comfortably and will sleep 4 if two are real friendly.
    Owner says it weighs in at 3000 with propane tanks, spare tire, auger and his gear to go fishing. Just over $4 grand. Close to pulling the trigger but I can be distracted by other shiny things pretty easily! lol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Michael Smith wrote:</div>
    Keith,

Wow that’s good for a 21′! I’m looking at a 8X13 home brew drop down wheels house that’s trimmed out inside as good as I’ve ever seen in knotty pine. Fishes 4 and sleeps 3 comfortably and will sleep 4 if two are real friendly.
    Owner says it weighs in at 3000 with propane tanks, spare tire, auger and his gear to go fishing. Just over $4 grand. Close to pulling the trigger but I can be distracted by other shiny things pretty easily! lol

4k for a nice home built isnt a bad deal. The firebrand is going to go for about 10 more. If any interest PM me a phone number

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I get the simplicity but I could never fish in a dull shell with bright light and blandness. I got to have the tongue and groove natural wood decor for laying back and relaxing. some of those like the Core Ice and older Glaciers made it feel like being in a mental institution. I got to have that cabin feel. I think those manufacturers will find out real fast what works and what doesn’t. The new glaciers are a thousand times better since going to the tongue and groove. Looking to get a wheelhouse by next year and Yetti or Big Bite are head and shoulders above everything I have seen with their craftsmanship. Anyone got a Yetti or Big Bite they want to get rid of? Pretty hard to find a used one on the market and for good reason!

Michael Smith
    Fall River, WI

That’s what makes the world turn buddy. You like wood, I like fishability. Tongue and groove adds unneeded weight, but boy does it look nice. The walleyes below really appreciate a nice cabin look when they breath the air we do. To each his own eyeguy. I need a lightweight fish house to get on the ice sooner than the others, and stay longer than most.

Fishability, functionality, durability, lightweight. Those are my factors in determining the right fish house for me, and that’s why I’m going with a Ridgeline shed trailer, modified to be the ultimate fish house.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I expected to get some backlash but I respect others opinions. Ridgeline looks like a solid player in the wheelhouse world and if they offer a decked out house in the same range as a Yetti or Big Bite, I will be in on it no doubt. you are correct, the eyes don’t care what the topside of the hole looks like but I got to have that cabin feel any way I can get it!

Tbone

I had a 10’ Ridgeline with the v nose. Biggest piece of junk ever. Less weight meant less quality. Said it could haul 1500# cargo. When I loaded my 900# wheeler in there you could watch the tires go way off camber in the mirrors every time I hit a bump. Scrubbed the tires off after 600 miles. Then while on the Lake the whole scissors Tounge snapped clean off due to poor welds. They accused me of overloading it. So I took it to a scale weighed it empt and loaded and showed them the scale slips. Long story short they took it back for repairs 3 times. Every time worse than the previous said they beefed up the axels but actually made it worse. It came back with only 4” inches of ground clearance. They use Axis torsion axels then cut them in half and de rate them by shortening them so much then blamed Axis axel company. I had nothing but trouble and they didn’t want to stand by it. I would not recommend a Ridgeline wheelhouse at all.

Ice Cap

I get the simplicity but I could never fish in a dull shell with bright light and blandness. I got to have the tongue and groove natural wood decor for laying back and relaxing. some of those like the Core Ice and older Glaciers made it feel like being in a mental institution. I got to have that cabin feel. I think those manufacturers will find out real fast what works and what doesn’t. The new glaciers are a thousand times better since going to the tongue and groove. Looking to get a wheelhouse by next year and Yetti or Big Bite are head and shoulders above everything I have seen with their craftsmanship. Anyone got a Yetti or Big Bite they want to get rid of? Pretty hard to find a used one on the market and for good reason!

I agree and I think you can have both to a degree. I always thought looking at spray foam or white fiberglass board gives you such a sanatized institutional feel. The Core fish houses really look sanatized with the white finished walls and white shelving. I get it the fish don’t care but if you’re going spend 3 or 4 or more days in a fish house I need some decor to look at. Another reason I would go no less than 8′ wide. Those narrow houses can close in on you after a couple days and you get that coffin feeling.

If I’m spending north of $20k I want some room to roam and some pretty things to look at.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

My ridgeline is the same as the day I bought it, save for a few dings. I haul an 800lb wheeler and my gear in it, or I have the beds and camping stuff in. It gets used 1-2 times a month yearround on average.

Wider would be nice, but it would require a winch lift system. I wouldnt trade the lever lift system – it is super fast and there is nothing to maintain.

No problems, no complaints.

Ice Cap

My ridgeline is the same as the day I bought it, save for a few dings. I haul an 800lb wheeler and my gear in it, or I have the beds and camping stuff in. It gets used 1-2 times a month yearround on average.

Wider would be nice, but it would require a winch lift system. I wouldnt trade the lever lift system – it is super fast and there is nothing to maintain.

No problems, no complaints.

Yep everything is a trade off and every body has their must have’s when getting a fish house. I too love the simplicity and ease of a lever system that is on the Ridgeline. No cables or winches to break or malfunction. I’m all about keeping things as simple as possible when on the ice the fewer things that have the potential to cause you problems the better and that lever system can’t be beat when it comes to that.

For me my first thing on the check list is minimum 8′ wide. I’ve spent a lot of time in Ice Castles with winch and cable systems and hydraulic systems and never a problem but the potential is certain;y there. Something does go wrong it can be a pain for sure but it can always be fixed. But 6.5 feet will always be 6.5 feet.

In the end you trade off on a mix of things to fit your needs and just get what’s best to fit you. Actually I don’t think I’ve ever met a fish house owner that at some point doesn’t start a sentence with “Yeah, but I wish it had”…. toast

Michael Smith
    Fall River, WI

Thanks for the response, tindall.

I’ve read two negative reviews of the Ridgeline trailers. Hoping not to read any more.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Tbone is very diligent about posting his story. I’m of the opinion that anything sold commercially is going to have some poorly performing units due to a batch of poor material, customer abuse, or who knows what. There are at least a handful of places each selling dozens of these every year – people like to vent on the internet so 2 bad reviews seems pretty good to me. But in all honesty, I would be pretty angry too if mine had failed.

I also think it is important to buy from a reputable place. I would ask Chris what the warranty is, and what he would do to make it right should you have any problems. They struck me as very good people at Bebergs.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What kind of weight can it haul being the “heavy haul”. I’m not being negative by any means but 13k for the insulated plain trailer with nothing is sure steep for a 6 x14. Any you are correct about it will not rust but aluminum is also very prone to corrosion and pitting due to that dang road salt that kills everything.
    I’m curious on the weight itll hold with out hurting axels

Ice Cap

What kind of weight can it haul being the “heavy haul”. I’m not being negative by any means but 13k for the insulated plain trailer with nothing is sure steep for a 6 x14. Any you are correct about it will not rust but aluminum is also very prone to corrosion and pitting due to that dang road salt that kills everything.

The 6.5’X14′ heavy haul Ridgeline is rated at 1700lbs. load capacity from the factory bare bones. Everything you do subtracts from that weight. Insulation, wiring, trim for mounting all the gear etc. etc. My Ranger with all it’s accessories alone would exceed that. When I was researching them I wasn’t considering them as a toy hauler but a light house that I could leave on the lake as a permanent and easily move around with my side by side. This certainly fits the bill for that but the price tag became prohibitive.

For what I wanted I didn’t need to spend near that much money.

Michael Smith
    Fall River, WI

Ridgeline trailers can be bought as just an aluminum shell. You can add your own siding if you want, many options to choose from. The 13K for a plain trailer is kinda vague. The more options you add, the more it’s going to be. Add electric brakes, add aluminum wheels, etc.
    Ridgeline warranties their aluminum trailers for 10 years. I don’t think corrosion or pitting are going to be a problem. They warranty their fish house trailers for 1 year, just because they are “off road”, so to speak. Conditions on the ice are obviously more treacherous than just pulling a trailer down the road.
    The axles they use are rated at 3500lbs. The sticker will say 2990 though, just because of the trailer licensing part. If you are hauling more than 3000lbs, then you need a plate. When you get your trailer finished to how you like it, you should just take it to a scale and get an accurate weight, then subtract from 3500lbs to see how much you can add safely.

Michael Smith
    Fall River, WI

Brought my Ridgeline trailer home yesterday. Drove over 4 hours from Minneapolis to the Madison, WI area. Had some strong winds and the trailer towed beautifully at around 70mph. Fired up the forced air furnace last night and broke it in with some beers. Very pleased with my purchase at this point.

Attachments:
    1. Trailer-home.jpg

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Hope your’s treats you as well as mine! How does the tandem drop down work – do you pull both wheels at a time?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.