Ribs are on!

• ThunderLund78

Been a while since I’ve let the Sow out of the barn! She’s puffin’ hickory smoke and two racks of spare ribs are now on. I’ll update with finished pics later. They better be good, almost decided not to do it this morning when I saw what a rack of ribs was going for at the grocery store. Ridiculous. But a good day to crank the garage tunes and watch the smoker. Might even have a Sunday beer!

Attachments:
    1. 20210711_115224.jpg

Coletrain27

neat rig you got there. is it electric or charcoal?

ThunderLund78

Electric – built it out of an old metal-interior Kelvinator fridge from the 60s. Bought an aftermarket replacement smoker element and a control unit from an outfit that makes them from homebuilt smokers and even for laboratories, etc where they have to have precise control temp in smaller places. I probably invested way too much time and money into it but it was a really fun project and it’s allowed me to do all kinds of things from ribs and roasts to 25lb batches of venison brats or summer sausage. A little more flexible and a little more space than most store-bought smokers. Plus – it’s got personality! peace

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Cool smoker,i like it.TL how did the ribs turn out?

ThunderLund78

TOP NOTCH! Also made some bacon mac & cheese! Really it’s just the Cracker Barrel brand box stuff and I mixed in bacon bits, put it in a casserole dish, sprinkled some cheese on top and put it under the low broiler for about 2 min. Voila!

Attachments:
    1. 20210711_175727.jpg

2. 20210711_174748.jpg

Jeff Gilberg

I did the same thing this weekend (spare ribs), on my drum smoker.
    Looks like the prices are coming down at Sams. loin backs were under $3 a pound.
    I tried something new with my rib tips after trimming them St. Louis style.
    after smoking, put them in a foil pan with honey, brown sugar, orange juice, and bbq. sause, mixed up, covered with foil and let it go for an hour or so, (just like burnt ends). I never liked picking around all the cartilage but they were very tender so it wasn’t a big deal.
    cool smoker!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.