Rhubarb Liqueur

• Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

If you have any rhubarb still waiting to be picked, you might want to try this. It’s pretty simple and effortless. I’ve made this several times and most people enjoy it. It’s good over ice, mixed with tonic or soda, and great right out of the Mason jar (after strained) next to the bonfire.

The recipe calls is for a quart jar but I like it with a little more rhubarb flavor so I fill three pint jars up to the neck with Rhubarb and the liquid perfectly fits to the brim in all 3 jars. I tip them every couple days and they are usually done by 2 weeks but I give them a few more days and then strain. They are basically done when all the color leaches out of the Rhubarb.

You don’t really have to use top shelf vodka as it mellows out with the rhubarb. The original recipe called for Grand Marnier but I think I will buy Triple Sec the next go around. You don’t use much GM so the bottle I have has made a few batches but man that stuff is expensive.

Stay thirsty my friends!

Recipe

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1796.jpg

2. IMG_1800.jpg

Iowaboy1

thats it,now I am thirsty!! you can do something similar to this with a mix of whole and crushed peppercorns,about half of a table spoon or so to a fifth of vodka,us this in your bloody mary mix. you may have to adjust the amounts to your liking.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Ooh. I may be making that tonight!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I got the FW on it!!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Oh my. I was just eyeballing the Communal Rhubarb Patch tonight and thinking it’s time for a coffee cake. And muffins. Now I’ve got something else to try.

Rhubarb Lover’s Travel Tip: In case any of you happen to venture out west this summer to South Dakota, the lady who owns the drive in restruant in Murdo SD (obviously, there would be only one drive in in Murdo) makes homemade rhubarb sauce for ice cream. No, really. She makes gallons of it. That sauce, in itself, is worth driving to Murdo for. That it may be the only thing worth driving to Murdo for is a matter of some debate. I had one after dinner and then we circled back for another one just before closing time. I am now officially considered an honorary local and therefore can just order “the usual”. BTW, the chicken is good there too.

Grouse

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I have the neighborhood’s OG rhubarb patch. The neighbor ladies come and take all they can, and there is still way too much of it. I think it just found a use.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Tick, tock, tick, tock…

Attachments:
    1. DSC_0076.jpg

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I’ve got my two jars going too!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Replace the vodka with grain alcohol! Perfect for all that extra Rhubarb.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Oh boy. Ma just read this. I’ll have her’s working by tonight.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Replace the vodka with grain alcohol! Perfect for all that extra Rhubarb.

I have a bottle of Everclear in the cabinet and thought about it, but I decided to stick with something a little lower strength, for now.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I mixed some strawberries into mine for good measure.

LenH
    Wisconsin

this sounds interesting.

i use to get rhubarb torts when I worked in Madison at the farmers market.
    \
    just made myself thirsty and hungry.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

hunting4walleyes – I live over on Flagstaff why don’t you drop me of a Mason jar.

lundojam

Sounds great!
    We make two rhubarb drinks:
    One is a rhubarberella. Strawberry vodka with rhubarb simple syrup and rhubarb bitters and a splash of sprite. Lovely.
    And Rhubarb Slush: Boil 8 cups of rhubabrb in 8 cups of water, add a packet of strawberry jello and a quarter cup of lemon juice and a cup of vodka. Put it in the freezer in an ice cream pail. Stays slushy. Add more vodka and sprite when serving.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Anybody try it yet? I was waiting for some feedback before I buy the booze and do it.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Ours is still working. y strawberry version of this is looking great and after sneaking a nip it tastes great too.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve got mine still aging. Turning a pale pink already.

There is an aperitif in Italy that is similar to this. I can’t remember the name, but it’s rhubarb and I believe apricot flavored and it is excellent. I don’t think there’s any way to go wrong with all the flavor that’s in rhubarb and how easily it compliments other citrus and berry flavors.

Grouse

fishdale

Mine is still aging. But looking good.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Well I sampled my batch last night. 2 days early!! couldn’t wait any longer!! 2 THUMBS UP!!
    But my rhubarb must be saturated with the vodka. the return is a 1/3 less than I started with. I wonder if you can make some sort of sauce with the used rhubarb. could maybe press it but not sure if I want all that pulp in the drink.

update:
    pressing or squeezing in a jelly bag works fine and increases the yield by a quite a bit.

Attachments:
    1. rhubarb2.jpg

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Back in the crazy party days, I had a friend that would show up to parties with mason jars of corn liquor. Of course there was the plain old white lighting for the boys, but usually he would also have a couple jars with strawberries or pineapple in them (for the ladies). I can tell you that a SIGNIFICANT amount of the alcohol goes into the fruit. Something to keep in mind if anyone starts munching on the leftover fruit.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We sampled ours yesterday. The color the booze takes on is crazy–almost looks unnatural. It’s very rhubarb-y. The wife liked it with lemonade.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

We just finished a peach version of this. It is very tasty.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Mine.

Attachments:
    1. DSC_0311.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Back in the crazy party days, I had a friend that would show up to parties with mason jars of corn liquor. Of course there was the plain old white lighting for the boys, but usually he would also have a couple jars with strawberries or pineapple in them (for the ladies). I can tell you that a SIGNIFICANT amount of the alcohol goes into the fruit. Something to keep in mind if anyone starts munching on the leftover fruit.

we called the garbage can parties back in my younger years!!!!!!! tongue devil grin

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

“we called the garbage can parties back in my younger years”….Glenn

I was wondering how you got that coffee filter stuck in your teeth when you stopped to cha at the shop a year or so ago Glenn.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My wife has been enjoying it with lemonade.

Attachments:
    1. mms_img-2032953883.jpg

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Looks good Ryan! I’ll have to try it with lemonade.

I was on vacation so mine stewed a little longer than normal. I just drained it last night after 28 days. I took a little taste test last night and it’s perfect.

I took some of the soaked rhubarb and put them over a bowl of ice cream last night. It was a first time I got a buzz eating a bowl of ice cream. toast

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.