Reusable ice packs for cooler

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I have been very impressed with Ozark Trail from Walmart. Will also re-freeze ice melt from cubes and they last a long time. I use them in the same cooler with leeches no problem. Price is right too.

(I also use homemade blocks on a weekly basis, but there are times like in the boat, I prefer these)

Attachments:
    1. C6DD768A-D378-40D5-8755-84160A0D7AFB.jpeg

AK Guy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Reef Whooligan wrote:</div>
    Downside is that it weighs a ton.

I have two pelican coolers that are amazing, but I only use them now for deer processing and long term food storage on vacation. It’s pointless to carry this weight around if you’re opening and closing the coolers grabbing beers every 15 minutes. For day trips on the boat, or simple overnights somewhere I really love soft sided coolers from AO Coolers. I also have a pelican backpack cooler that I really do NOT like, but I mostly use it as a dry bag because it’s got a water proof closure.

I’m a fan of AO soft sided too. Great for stuff you need to get at often.

Umy
    South Metro

I have a Scheels brand 75 qt Yeti style.
    I bought two of the re-freezable “panels” that slide in the grooves on the inside – works great for separating things out that I don’t want ice or water to get to.
    I also freeze my own bottles. Various sizes and shapes So i can pick and choose when I pack. I also put ALL of my homemade ones in a day or two before to pre-chill – that’s the key to having frozen ice inside STILL after 4 days.
    We use one cooler for drinks as it gets opened more and one for food so that helps tremendously as well.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I usually freeze a half dozen plastic water bottles. The plastic stretches when it freezes so they bottle stays sealed and they don’t leak as they thaw out. Always have cold water handy too then!

stevenoak

We have some of the cheap blue plastic ones from Farm and Fleet. Plus being near 70 with bad knees. We have various sizes of the sports jell packs. They work well when you want cold without things getting wet. They contour around things of particular interest. And they are something we already have. They last a day or 2 if it’s not real warm. When I go to Florida or the cabin. Good chance, I’ll need one anyway.

ThunderLund78

We have a few of those Cooler Shock packs and they’re great. Would recommend!

mark Mason

Also, not mentioned, is that it is a good idea to temper your cooler with ice water before placing any ice, beer or food into it. You will find that your ice lasts much longer.

Gitchi Gummi

I got both blue and purple arctic ice packs last week. I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with them but specifically, the purple ice packs. I haven’t seen anything else out there that stays as cold as these packs do.

Dave maze
    Isanti

20% glycol (antifreeze) and water in a container will do the same thing as an ice pack (after freezing the mixture of course). I’ll leave out the details on how it freezes the water in your cooler.

Dave maze
    Isanti

One btu (the measurement of heat) will raise the temp of one lb of water 1 degree f. But it takes 144 btus to melt on lb of ice. There is no temperature change with the melt. Just ice melts to water. Since we lowered the freezing point of the pack by adding glycol, we can now use the 144 btus per lb that is needed to melt the pack at a lower temperature than 32 degrees. Thus freezing the water that touches it. If you want more than that you can ask your Google device.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

On old ice cream makers we used to sprinkle canning salt on crushed ice packed around the tub that you stirred the mix in to make it cold enough to freeze it.

CaptainMusky

One btu (the measurement of heat) will raise the temp of one lb of water 1 degree f. But it takes 144 btus to melt on lb of ice. There is no temperature change with the melt. Just ice melts to water. Since we lowered the freezing point of the pack by adding glycol, we can now use the 144 btus per lb that is needed to melt the pack at a lower temperature than 32 degrees. Thus freezing the water that touches it. If you want more than that you can ask your Google device.

Thank you!

Brittman

Anything that lowers the freezing point of water works – glycol, salt, ethanol, etc…

That said, you must have a freezer that gets cold enough to freeze your mixture for this to work.

If your mixture has a freeze point of say 10F vs. 32F (just water) then in theory – yes water will freeze in your cooler when you drop in blocks that are say 8F …

djshannon
    Crosslake

Most beer freezes around 27 degF. take care…

Attachments:
    1. Beer.jpg

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.