Retirement escape plan has been initiated

• Snake ii’s

My wife and I have been contemplating retirement life on a quiet lake for a few years. As the state of the word has changed for the worse over the past ~2 years, we decided that waiting any longer may not be in our best interest. We started looking in the Hayward area, but the prices are ridiculous and availability is scarce. So I expanded my search to find what we wanted at a price we could afford. No easy task as I am picky about the location, fishing and activity on the lake. My wife is less picky, just wants me to be happy and that the lake has loons. Well, long story short – we closed on ~ 6 acres of waterfront property in the UP of Michigan yesterday.

Attachments:
    1. property-lake-1.jpg

Sylvanboat

A friend of mine is a longtime owner of property in the UP and he and his wife love it. Good luck.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Congratulations Musky! applause

Snake ii’s

Thanks!
    More pics……

Attachments:
    1. property-land-2.jpg

2. property-land-3.jpg

3. property-land-4.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Awesome 👍👍 looks good and congrats

munchy
    NULL

Jealous!!

You gonna build or move in a trailer?

ThunderLund78

That’s awesome man! It’s an overused phrase but you’re truly “livin’ the dream!”
    Congrats on becoming a Yooper! Visited there for the first time this summer and loved it. Enjoy your retirement and the pasties!

Snake ii’s

The long game plan is to build a modest lake home, the short game plan is to get septic and well (elec is already on property) and maybe a nice sized garage/man cave so that we can camp and enjoy.

Funny – my wife has yet to see the property. we have ~ 10 years before retirement, but are looking for remote jobs. I’d love to sell the house and my other retirement property – 40 acres in New Mexico – and get on to building ASAP.

Mike West

Congrats.
    Depending on where, you might need a big Big Shovel.
    I love the UP

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Congrats. Just don’t end up like Ruben Sota (aka. Buckless Yooper). Enjoy.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Congrats! What area of the U.P.? Pretty laid back, friendly people up there from my experience!

Snake ii’s

Thanks for the Buckless Yooper, had not heard that one. I laughed to Da Yoopers “Second week of deer camp” and “rusty Chevrolet on the Dr Dimento show back in the 80’s. Never thought that I could be called one. That is not derogatory either, I would be honored to be considered one.

Attachments:
    1. Da-Yoopers.jpg

TH

If you live in Michigan you’re either a Yooper or a Troll. Congratulations.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Congrats muskycliff. Looks like great property, waterfront but then flattens out into some woods. You’re gonna enjoy your time there!

Snake ii’s

Congrats! What area of the U.P.? Pretty laid back, friendly people up there from my experience!

The property is on a dead end road and borders Ottowa National Forest. The nearest town (~ 30 miles away)is Watersmeet. Not a musky lake, but the Sylvania wilderness is a short distance. Eagle River Wisconsin is ~ 1 hour drive.
    The lake is very quiet – the first time I saw the property and hiked it w/the realtor I saw one pontoon and 5 kayaks during the ~ 5 hours I spent there. This was the second weekend in July. The second time I went there for the soil test, there was no one on the lake. This was a few days before Labor Day weekend.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Nice! I am up in that neck of the woods usually every weekend of October running bear. We stay right near Marenisco and hunt out from there. FR 7100 is about as far east as we get.

MX1825

Congrats Musky. Sounds like my kind of place! FW–not her cup of tea. bawling

robby
    Quad Cities

Congratulations! I love the U.P.. 906! I have been going there and staying at a Friends, hunting, fishing, etc. for 25 years. My plan has been to retire there also. It is becoming more commercialized, I guess that is just progress, but I do not like it. But, it is still Paradise as far as I am concerned. Where about are you going to live? I have always stayed away from populated areas up there.

robby
    Quad Cities

I stay between Bruce Crossing and Paulding. Have never been to Houghton even. I just stay close to where I stay. Plenty to do. I have been to Sylvania and ventured about to differnt lakes, rivers, and the like. I have seen the Northern Lights up there. Just super cool. Envious of you to be buying a place up there, I am not ready yet. But…………

Snake ii’s

This is the area, the lake is NOT Gogebic.

Attachments:
    1. 2021-10-27_6-37-41.jpg

Jason

Very nice area….
    I would suggest you purchase a snowmobile if you don’t have one already

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.