Repowering the boat? Yamaha F75LB vs F70LA

• buschman
    Pool 2

Hi Guys, I believe in the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” deal but going back and forth on this one.

I own a 17.2 ft lund angler and currently have a 2005 F75 on it. I love the motor and had great luck with it. I just have so many hours on it and ready to get a new one on the back.

I am juggling between the same F75 model and the F70. I know all I need to about the F75 but does anyone else run a new model F70LA. I am just curious of what you think and what you are pushing. Speed is not my priority but do need a good hole shot and mid range power. I spend most of my time on the river. I don’t spend much time on the big water with my boat anymore so believe I would be ok with less power and weight. I just don’t want to regret it later.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d go with the 75 and not hesitate. The difference between the two may or may not be noticable. However, if you’ve truly put so many hours on a 2005 that you want to get rid of it, I’m guessing you’ll notice less HP (even the slightest change) with that kind of time running the same boat. Even without being in the rig for speed, planing can be a big factor if you drop in HP.

Any idea how many hours? I run a 2007 Opti and my mechanic told me he wouldn’t expect to see it go less than 800-1000 hours before any kind of rebuild.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Buschman – How may hours do you have on your 2005 F75?? I have a 2002 F40 with maybe 1,500 to 2,000 hrs on it and it runs like new. Those Yamaha motors last a very, very long time.

I recently brought mine into Hannay’s to replace the prop seals (which weren’t bad after all; bad drain plug gaskets instead) and they said mine should go as long as I take care of it and do proper maintenance. Other than running low on oil, those mid range Yamaha’s are hard to kill.

My recommendation is getting an F40 instead of an F75…That way we can beat you to all the spots during the P2 Hawg Haul. smile

Kidding aside, I think you guys will win the tourney this year. You guys are due.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Take the cash you want to spend on a new motor and stick it in the bank. When your currant motor dies take your money plus all the interest and buy a new 20′ Ranger. wink

buschman
    Pool 2

Ken, I am fishing with you next year so that does make sense. Haha. You guys make it tough on me.

My motor is carbureted. I believe one of the last models before EFI. I had the cards rebuilt a few years ago. It is still a runner but I want the ability to get my RPM’s down.

I have more hours than I should admit to. The carbureted system does not track the hours. This is what I was told so could never tell. I bought it used from a guy that trolled salmon on Lake Michigan. I have had it 12 years now and roll it off that trailer 50-75 times a year. Most are on the river and make some long runs. I wouldn’t say it has over 1800 hours but would say it doesn’t. I think it’s time anyway. I like Bucky’s thinking!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.