Report 5/23&5/24

• Jonesy

Should first say we stayed at Sugar Point Resort and very much enjoyed it. The owners were incredibly nice and service oriented. This spring trip might become an annual thing at Sugar Point!

Was on the water around noon on Wednesday the 23rd. Initial plan was to chase walleyes. Weather was warm and wind was calm. Not my ideal conditions.

Spoke with a guy at the resort and he said he had been doing well on crappies in boy bay. Decided to go take a look and was not disappointed. Got a 13.25″ in the first 5 minutes. Biggest I’ve ever caught. Took awhile to find the 2nd fish but we once we did we had a nice crappie bite for about 90 minutes. Caught a few more 13″ fish and the smallest was 11.75″. Brought 10 back (3 guys fishing) and a few perch and a northern. The wind had picked up at this point too.

That evening went out and tried drifting/pitching red rock and nothing. Started trolling Pelican Reef with #7 flicker shads (black/gold & slick chartreuse pearl). Caught about 10 walleyes that night and brought 4 home. Rest were in the slot. Fishing wasn’t fast but looking at my way points they were all on the west side of the reef and in 9-11 feet of water. Was a great night having a beer or 2 with my father in law and brother in law while I ran the boat and worked both lines for them.

Thursday May 24th we got a later start than we wanted but the weather was cooler, overcast, and there were white caps on the lake so I was excited. My father in law wanted to go way north to Waboose Bay and fish the deeper hole. Wasn’t my first choice, or really even in my top 3 but the wind was blowing that way so figured why not.

The deep hole produced nothing. Noticed a guide was sitting on grassy point when we came in so we decided to try that. After a few minutes several more boats joined. Everyone was in a tiller and seemed to be doing some long line back trolling. Tried to replicate it with no success. Saw fish being caught though.

My FIL asked if he could take control and try something. I agreed and he set us up on a long drift of the point and I’d operate the terrova to keep us in target depth. Started to get a few fish on Jigs/shiners in 9’ish feet. Best fish was a 25″ that had the feed bag on as she smoked my jig and was a fatty. Weather blew in and we headed in but still got caught in the wind and pelting rain. After that it was hot, humid, and calm.

Spoke to 2 people at the dock that afternoon. One guy said he caught 7 eyes on the north end of bear island. Said he also got 5 on battle point. Another guy told me about the slip bobber/leech bite on annex reef at night. I bought some leeches and hoped to do that as I love bobber fishing and have never caught a walleye doing so.

Made it back out for the evening bite after a big lunch and a short nap for my FIL. Ran to traders bay to get some beer and some gas. Wind was slowly picking up and tried a few areas drifting, pitching, and tossing a jig n rap. Around 8 decided to give annex a try much to the initial displeasure of my FIL who doesn’t like fishing crowds.

Anchored up in around 10.5′ of water and set the slip bobber at 9.5ish’ my BIL and FIL decided to jig. FIL got a 24.5″ walleye almost right away and suddenly didn’t mind the boats. Caught a few northerns and saw a bunch caught. Was about to pull the plug when it happened. Saw my glow stick slip under the surface and just sort of sit there. I figure an eye is on my line. Reel to th. Fish, set the hook, feel the head shakes, and poof he’s gone.

Tossed my bobber back around and within a few minutes it slipped beneath the waves. Let the fish chew on it a bit longer, reeled down, and gave my best wild hookset. This fish was everything you want in a walleye. Took what seemed like forever to even see her. Made several runs, moved me around the boat a couple times, and when it was all said and done I had tied my personal best (length) walley at 26.25″.

The was steady for several hours. 12 walleyes caught, 10 missed, 10 over 20″s with 4 above 24″. Sadly I only bought a dozen leeches so we fished until we were out of bait. Had to leave early the next morning so I could go set up camp on castle rock. Thanks to everyone who offered help on my previous post.

Attachments:
    1. 20180524_214401.jpg

2. 20180524_135251.jpg

3. 20180524_214350.jpg

4. 20180524_135228.jpg

5. 20180524_011018.jpg

6. 20180523_172040.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Great report. waytogo
    We stayed at sugar point during the ice maybe 2-3 yrs ago now. Very nice owners indeed. Good access point to alot of good fishing. They just bought I believe and was excited to have at it.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Great report! And a great trip!

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Thanks for the report. Looks like you had a great trip and want to get up there and try it.

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

We stay at Sugar Point every year for a week. Love the place!!

one week til go time!! thanks for the report.

what time was the night bobber bite? 8 til ???

Jonesy

We stay at Sugar Point every year for a week. Love the place!!

one week til go time!! thanks for the report.

what time was the night bobber bite? 8 til ???

We were in by midnight. Most boats left around 10

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.