Replacement Parts for Gas Gauge

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I have a 1990 Lund Predator. The gas gauge has always been goofy, but yesterday it quit working entirely. When I hit the accessories switch, the needle on the gauge pins backwards. (The tank is full). I contacted a couple of Lund Dealers and they say that they can’t come up with parts older than 2004. So the question is, does anyone make a replacement sending unit for an old Lund boat, and were you successful in replacing it?

Otherwise I might be “topping it off” every third or fourth trip on general principle.

Thanks guys

SR

JEREMY
    BP

Google the part number of the top of sending unit im sure you will come up with something.

Iowaboy1

Steve, most likely that sender was built by Rochester, If so, there are two different lengths of float arms depending on what tank you have.
    You should be able to find the part number online if the tag is still on the sending unit.
    If not, send me a pic of it and I will help you find it.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Thanks for the help guys. This morning I tried to get the floor off to see if I could fine a part number. Most of the floor is riveted down, but there were two panels right down the middle that were screwed down. So I went after it (80 degrees in the garage with a 70 degree dew point) and got both of those panels up. Underneath was another metal panel that headed off under the other floor parts and is riveted into place. I know the gas tank is under there somewhere. Some place. But getting at it looks like a big project and I don’t think it’s worth it.

Now I need a cool drink and some air conditioning.

Thanks again

SR

Deuces

Been awhile since I replaced my whole system, but I believe there’s a way to check whether it’s the unit or the gauge itself. I’d make sure it’s the sender before digging into all of that.

Didn’t move any wires or screw in anything recently did ya? Sometimes the wires for those are strung up a side of a rod locker which can sit there for decades until one day you pull the light out and catches just right breaking it. Just my 2 cents

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Sounds like a off season project. LOL

JEREMY
    BP

That sucks i was able to access mine in like 5 minutes but boat is quite a bit newer. Lucky it was easy since after all the screwing around i realized the sending unit had its own ground that was laying along side the battery.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Hmmm….

Further troubleshooting. It looks like it might be the gauge! I pulled the sending wire off the back of the meter and it should pin past full. But it doesn’t, it still pins backwards. Now I need to find a replacement gauge. Any suggestions on where to buy something like this?

SR

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.