registrstion on an old canoe

• rubberduck
    east bethel

So I bought an old 77′ fiberglass canoe…..(price was right)
    my buddies dad had it registered back in 04 and he has since passed.
    my question is is how would I go about getting registration sticker for this canoe with out having to jump through a bunch of hoops? Can I just tell the dmv it has no serial number? any advice would be greatly appreciated!

RD

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Isn’t there a registration sticker on it? Maybe it’s unreadable. I’d there is, that number should be able to satisfy them.
    I have a ’65 Grumman, and it has a hull ID tag on it.

munchy
    NULL

Go to the DMV and explain the situation. It’ll probably be pretty easy.

rubberduck
    east bethel

ralph, yes there is a reg sticker that I can barely read. i will see if i can get some #’S off of it.

Munchy, that’s what I was thinking. i will just go there and see what they say. I think a lot has to do with who you are dealing with at the dmv also, some of those ladies are a bit nicer than others lol… Thanks guys

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Just tell them you made it, give them the length and go canoeing.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Do you register a canoe? I don’t think we do in WI. Never registered a kayak.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Yea on this side of the river anything over 10 foot needs to be licensed

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Please keep us updated with the hoops you jump through to this. I am thinking of picking one up for my family.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i have a 17 ft alumline aluminum canoe. have had it since 1975 when i graduated high school. i paid for it from cash i got from the grad party………….and i’ve had it licensed/registered since then.

troutbum
    St. Paul

In minnesota you have to register a rubber ducky

thegun
    mn

Have someone write you up a bill of sale. Like anyone. Saying joe blow sold this canoe to you for x price. In mn you will need that to get it registered

CBMN
    North Metro

I was given a canoe by a neighbor about 10-15 years ago and just brought the hull identification Number in on a piece of paper. If I remember right I might have had the past registration tag from that previous owner, but I would think a bill of sale would work fine, like stated above.

Guessing the dnr is usually willing to figure out away for you to pay them for something…

rubberduck
    east bethel

Thanks guys i do have a bill of sale . Plan on going to dmv tomorrow.
    I will prob be easier than i think……hopefully

munchy
    NULL

It will be. My uncle gave me his boat last year and all I needed was a piece of paper saying “I so-n-so am giving my -boat brand, model, and year- to so-n-so”. Signed and dated by both parties. A bill of sale will be all that is needed, especially on a low dollar value item such as a 40 year old canoe.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rubberduck wrote:</div>

It will be. My uncle gave me his boat last year and all I needed was a piece of paper saying “I so-n-so am giving my -boat brand, model, and year- to so-n-so”. Signed and dated by both parties. A bill of sale will be all that is needed, especially on a low dollar value item such as a 40 year old canoe.

I’m hoping for the best for ya but I went thru this s few years back. If I remember right, if you have no hull identification #, you must go thru the DNR first, get a number thru them, then go to the DMV for registration. Maybe DNR will register for you also but I think that may be your route.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

The other caveat of that is if you’re a WI resident but use a canoe in MN it has to be registered. I specifically asked the MN DNR this question and they said they honor another state’s registration but not the lack of a registration requirement.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Was less painfull than I thought.
    Just a bill of sale and hull id was what i gave them. Time to put the old jalopy in The water

Attachments:
    1. 20180802_142807.jpg

munchy
    NULL

waytogo Now go get it covered in fish slime!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.