Reel question

• Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

I have a three year old shimano stradic 2500fj and its drag automatically tightens when line is pulled out. I’ve sent this reel in TWICE to get fixed and was not fixed either time Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice on how I can fix this myself?

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

sounds like a fake question to me

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Sorry, just a stupid joke from the title. Bored as all get out at work sleeping

Is the drag tensioner (thumb screw) clamping down as line gets pulled out? Have you taken the spool off and cleaned it up?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Charlie, where you located , I do work on them ..pending where you are at I may be able to help

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Stillwater

Unfortunately I dont know any one in that area that repairs reels, but there are a few in the cities ..just google fishing reel repair in minnesota !

rmartin
    United States

Make sure the clicker on the tension knob works smoothly, oil or grease.

Drags are not all that tough to work on. Remove the tension knob, retainer spring clip and washer cover. All of the drag washers should come out as 1 piece where all of the washers can then be separated. Pay special attention to the order and clean and lightly grease the entire assembly. Be careful with the non metal washers as they can break. Check your schematic to see if any parts are missing or not in the right order. There are usually 4 metal washers and 3 other felt or other material washers sandwiched alternately (might be 3 + 2). 1 or 2 of the metal washers are usually notched or keyed and only fit in 1 way.

I replaced the felt washers with carbon fiber washers I found on Ebay. Not real cheap in comparison to felt, but work nicely.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.