Reducing Flasher Weight with AA 12v Setup!

• Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Guys – I was looking to reduce the weight of my sonar this year as so much of my fishing is done in the Metro area, it requires a LOT of hole punching.

Last year, the weight of things really started to become a top of mind topic for me so this year I wanted to think about how to make things easier. (Turning 40 just MAY have played into this thought process sadly).

I am not splurging this year and using a very basic Vexilar FL8-SE for my main sonar. As with most traditional mechanical flashers, the weight is all in the SLA batteries. Other than that, they are very light. I wanted to “not think” about grabbing my sonar and using it before I thought about carrying it and an auger to a spot realizing I’ll be hauling everything back if my search nets me zilch.

Enter Amazon Basics AA Alkaline Batteries and a 12v battery holder from Amazon as well. 8 AA Batteries makes a 12 Volt System (1.5V per battery * 8 batteries). After that its just math. I used a similar system on my Alumacraft this year by taking a flasher battery deep into Ontario to save weight.

In this instance I’m using these AA Battery holders with + and – leads.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Holder-Wired-Switch-Cover/dp/B00H8WJ1SA

So how it breaks down is this. Each battery has tested out with an average 1635 mAh discharge. The Vexilar draws 200 mAh –

1635/200 = Just around 8 hours of usage. For me, I will rarely be over 8 hours in a day of usage, and if I am I’ll just bring 8 more AAs at a cost of .23c/battery. I understand for some people this will be cost prohibitive at $2/day, but for me the 5+lb weight savings is a huge bonus and I’m happy with the setup. I simply mounted my battery holder to the pack that I use with industrial velcro and I’m ready to run.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

In the cold, that 1635 will dissipate rapidly. Get yourself 2 sets of rechargeable AA’s that are in the 2300-2450 mah. Keep one set in your coat and the other in the unit. Those higher quality reusables will pay for themselves very quickly.
    I go through a very similar scenario with my ecallers for predator hunting. I got educated in batteries much quicker than i thought i would

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Thanks Randy! I was going to mention that the rechargeables are about 1000mah more for capacity. I am at exactly 5lbs right now with the current setup.

I’m excited to give it a shot, I had forgotten how quickly Alkalines discharge in cold.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Years ago I ran the old Lowrance greenbox the same way. I hated toting around the lattern batteries and made the switch to AA’s. When the rechargeable came along – what a difference! waytogo

mojogunter

What does the standard battery weigh?

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Take a look at Lithium ion batteries 80% less weight than SLA but spendy

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Bob – I debated, but minimum of $80 for 1lb. I will probably go with Panasonic Eneloop Pros, designed to work in -4 Farenheit and 2500+ mah. I like that route for $30 to decide if I’m all in

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Look at Solar Sportsmen’s flasher batteries. They weigh about half as much as a lead one and lasts way longer. Its a little bit of an investment but theres a lot less worrying if you have a charged battery when you wanna hit the lake.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Bob – I debated, but minimum of $80 for 1lb. I will probably go with Panasonic Eneloop Pros, designed to work in -4 Farenheit and 2500+ mah. I like that route for $30 to decide if I’m all in

We use the Eneloop Pros in our wireless mic packs on ice and they have a very good run time compared to other AA batteries we’ve tried. I will tell you this though, don’t expect to get a second season out of them. For us it has been “one winter and done.” We start to see severely reduced run times if we try and use them for a second winter. You might see a different outcome given you’re powering a different device but if it was my money, knowing how much those Enelope Pros cost, I’d look long and hard at a Lithium 12V. My Lithium 12V batteries are going on season #4 without missing a beat.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Thanks for the heads up James.

1 year is disappointing for a Cadillac rechargeable. I might have to go with a Lithium 12v

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the heads up James.

1 year is disappointing for a Cadillac rechargeable. I might have to go with a Lithium 12v

They still work after the first season but we just don’t see the same run times in year two. Those Enelopes are one of the only rechargeable AA batteries that will give us 10+ hours run time on our mic packs without changing batteries out midday. In year two we see something closer to a 6 hour run time which requires us to change out batteries at some point… and the timing on the mics going down is ALWAYS bad.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Doug
    I have not personally used the Lithium Ion. I was recently exposed to them at a UTV retailer. I went to pick one up thinking it was a SLA battery and I flung it into the air as I was not expecting it top be so light.

prospector
    Wyoming

I have used my Milwaukee 12v. batteries for this. Milwaukee sells an adapter for a heated jacket that will convert their 18v. to 12v. Ebay sells voltage regulators that will get the voltage right as well. Last season, I ran my LX9 on a Dewalt 36v. with the regulator and it worked well. For me, the Milwaukee setup is best because I use the same batteries to drill holes, lighting, heated jacket and radio. The also sell a vehicle charger to top batteries off in the field.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.