Fewer Snags while shore or boat fishing.

• landscats
    North Dakota, USA

I have seen many shore fisherman and women sitting on shore fishing or trying to get their snags out. When watching them I notice how many times they got snagged up when reeling their lines in. They have to remember that when the reeling back their lines most often they are dragging on the bottom just waiting for the first snag to grab them.

Remember this simple step when your going to reel in your line.

Snap the rod tip up and keep it up reeling fast keeping the hook of the bottom. This will help cut down the number of snags you get.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Good tip!

That is what I have been doing all night and not one snag!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Great tip Ken!

I always do that…two weeks ago when we were getting ready to move spots…I “jumped” it up in the air and…and it pulled back.
    She was a good one, but..I’m guessing because of the meger hookset..she left us in awe when the hook came out.

That was a first for me!

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

I had someone in my boat last year do the same thing. Landed his first 15lb plus cat even.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Ken,

How’s the bite up there, you dealing with low water like everywhere else?

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

No the water is still fine. They have had lots of rain south of us this year. Have to remember that we hardly fished in the Month on June. 4 wks we weren’t able to get on the river due to flooding. I mean our flood stage is 28 ft and we hit 41 in June. Not something that you want to be out in. As for the fishing now, its heating up and will only improve until that water temps cool in late Sept or Early Oct.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Couple years and I’m coming up. Just need to get the toddlers a little bigger. Lake Mendota just hit 80 degrees water temp. When that happens the channel cats get nasty agressive.

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

Water temps very up here but there are times it read 84. Thats crazy but with that hot spell we had I beleive it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.