Aug reports

• landscats
    North Dakota, USA

They still have me puzzled a bit, but I haven’t been able to make it out for the early moring bite or the late evening bite. People have been coming in with great catches, others have said they have had even better catches but since I know them I don’t count on their word as much as others. Anyway fishing from noon til 8pm has been very slow and not just for me others have said that they can’t buy a fish during this time.

Well the big event is this weekend I’ll let you all know how myson and I faired.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good Luck!

There going to turn on just for the two of you!

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

Well the weekend is over and man I’m tired. Sat morning we got up at 5:30 and got to the river and loaded the boat with bait, Ice and everything else we would needed to fish until we caught our Five fish or until 3:30 which ever came first.

Sat. was great, the board went up with our group of numbers and we were off, Heading into the first bend in the river my boat motor kindof sputtered and then stopped. I had just replaced the plugs so I knew it wasn’t that. It started but when I hit the trottle down it sounds like I’m flodding it. Well we limped into one of my favorite spots and got setup, know this wasn’t the place I wanted to go first it was my second spot to hit for the days game plan. After getting all the lines in I turned to see a sight I didn’t want to see. My son was sitting down in front of the boat with his face planted into his hands. I ask what’s wrong and he stood up looking at me with tears running down both cheeks and said what are we going to do now. He came to me for a big hug. Now talk about haven that feeling of gettng your heart tore out. “Man I’m getting a tear just thinking about it again”. Anyway about half hour later we land a 9lb fish. He’s a little happy now but when the next fish hits things take a big turn. We land the 18.5 lb fish that puts us in the lead at the 10am weigh on Sat. We went back out looking for three small fish under 24″ and the first ones we landed were a 14lber,two 12’s, and one 10. We moved and moved and we caught our three fish and were done by 2:30 the first day.

Day two a buddy let me use his boat and man it paid. going from a 40hp to a 115 makes a big difference in what you can do and how long it takes. Well we try or first spot nothing, we move to our second spot and there is a boat in the middle of the river. So I slid down river behind him and slid back up along the bank. I anchored about fifty yards behind him next to the shore and within ten minutes we land a 13.79 fish. It didn’t take long and they moved down river alond the shore. We later added an 1.67 pound fish to the bag. We didn’t catch another fish until 2:30. We moved and tried spots just looking for any fish big or little, we just wanted to add weight to the bag. Well I was getting bait ready when my son yelled “DAD WE GOT HIM” I turned this time to see a big smile on his face and the rod doubbled over. it was the fish we needed to stay in the money. 10 pounds and it was a 100.00 fish, we ended with 8 fish for a total weight of 64.33lbs and this landed us 16th place out of 150 two man teams and a check for 200.00. Even though it cost 200.00 to get in my son wants his share of the winnings.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I would do that too if it was my dad!

Getting some fishing time in with your son…is worth more than 100 bucks…(I’m telling you )

Sound like you had a great time!…that’s priceless!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.