Lockport Question

• dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Dennis and Ed, you two have me drooling. What is your opinion on the fall cat bite up there? I’ve heard early fall can be great. What would be the latest time of year you’d head up there before things start to slow down.? Thanks for the help.

shefland
    Walker

Dirk, I have gone in June and its been unbelievably, I’ve gone in mid and late Sept and its been unbelievable, this years fall trip will be Sept 11. Right about the first week of Oct things seem to slow down, the river is jammed full of walleye fisherman fishing the “greenbacks” walleyes that make the run upriver from Lake Winnepeg. Supposedly the cats are returning to the lake from the river, thats my take on it, I am just drooling and can hardly wait to get there and hear that bait clicker go nuts! Dave Shefland

backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

With the boom on baitfish going on on the lower Red from now on tell freeze up will be great. September is very likely going to be SUMO cat time in a big way .

Frogs are hot now but look to goldeye and suckers to get hot again as the water temps again fall in late September.

ED

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Hi Dirk,
    Fishing up at Lockport should continue until the water temperature drops below 50. That is normally about the first of October. The month of September is normally good fishing until we get a strong cold front move through and drops the water temperature a lot.

Start fishing close to the dam and if nothing is there then move down river. Cats can be caught close to the dam basicly all year but will drop off as the water temp cools in the fall.

If you could get a room at Stu’s (Cats on the Red) that is the best place to stay up there. But if he is full there are other places to stay that are close also.

Take a look a Stu’s website http://www.catsonthered.com

Dennis

vern
    Richfield, MN

I highly recommend Cats on the Red also. I used to camp, but this spring I booked 2 days at Stu’s place. Very affordable & convenient. You are set up right at the dam and the landing. I actually caught most of my big cats right in front of our cabin. I probably could have fished that spot from shore. Also, it was fun talking to Stu & hearing all the great fishing stories. We had a big framed picture of Otis “Toad” Smith in our room. You got to love that. Vern

backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

Stu’s is so handy and you won’t find a better view then off the deck.

His cabins are very rooms and clean, beds are great too. Almost as nice as Dennis’s Cat castle, he has a great set up to!

I wish I had a cat den like that to call my own.

Camping from now on up North can get harry, rain and cool weather makes the warm dry cabin mighty nice preaty darn fast….Eh.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.