Fishin with Ed

• Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

Ed Carlson took me out Catfishing on the Red, It was a cold and miserable day but I had a great time and Ed was GREAT.

Ed is in the catfish circles (from Moyer to Stange) he had great stories. Ed you are a wealth of information. I had a great time everyone should go to the channel cat mecca once and take Ed Carlson along.

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Glad to hear you had fun fishing with Ed. Ed is a great guy and I recomend him to anybody that I cannot work out a date for. Ed and I work together regularly and we have also done fishing seminars together.

Fishing channel catfish on the Red River is something everbody should try. The majority of the year the fish are easy to catch and you can have fun catching these monsters all day long and into the night if that is what you want.

But we all know that a fishing trip is just not about catching fish. It is about having a fun and relaxing time with some friends. So whether you hire a guide or not, I hope to see some of you up on the Red River this summer.

Dennis

fishhead
    Chaska

I also had the pleasure of fishing with Ed a couple weeks ago and had a great time.He is a very knowlegeable catman and anyone can learn something from him.He will also get you on some fish even when the bite may be tough.I am sure I will be fishing with him again some time in the future.

Bowfinhunter

The day I went out the bite was very tough. It was a cold, cold day (May 23) with a strong Dakota wind. Ed had his hands full. I worked with Shimano Baitrunners and circle hooks for the first time, we lost a lot of fish because I was fooled by the circle hooks, paitence was badly needed. I’m trying to get something going with Ed for August/September. But next year for sure.

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Bowfinhunter
    If you are looking for a better time to come to the Red River, I would recommend from mid-July through about mid-August as the fishing is normally great at this time. Fishing in September can also be great but if you happen to come right after a strong cold front, that we have way to often, fishing will be tough.

I know that if you are with Ed, you will catch some fish but if you time it right you will have the time of your life catching cats.

Good luck and say hi to Ed from me, (Dennis) next time you talk to him.

Good Cattin!

backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

Howdy Bowfinhunter & Fishhead!

I am glad Bowfinhunter left me a few clues to who he was because that handle didn’t ring a bell. The conditions did so I now know who ya are Bowfinhunter. We had a good time in the less then optimal conditions Mother Nature through at us May 23. Bowfinhunter is a fast learner and darn fun to fish with too. The pecky cat bite was a bit frustrating to say the least, hard persistent cold fronts was the culprit, but we adapted and enticed a few lookers into hookers. I hope we can get together again Terry under more stable condition. Thanks for the kind works too Eh!

Fishhead…..MMMMMM…do I know anyone names Fishhead?

Ya…Da man of Steel…Ya I know that guy Eh. He has that catman smile, just like me.

Fishhead and the infamous Dark30 were my guests her on the Red and we had a very good time on and off the water. We didn’t find any #30 sumo channels to rival there sumo Flatheads back home, but…eh…maybe next time. We did do a bit of damage to 3 sumo sized porterhouse stakes fresh off the smoker grill in a late night feeding frenzy, that was great! Definitely want to try that again guys! Thanks too for the kind word guys; yup-yup we need to try that again later in the season.

Dennis is da man; I listen to him closely on all things catfish. He is a great guide and tends to keep thing simple while I try to complicate stuff too much…..so we kinda balance things out when we to a seminar or clinics. Dennis thinks I complicate stuff due to my over attachment to walleye fishing…..HA! I am not totally cured yet…….but I’m working on it……right Dennis?

I highly recommend Dennis to folks looking for a guide package, if I am otherwise committed. He is a great guide and a upstanding individual who loves the rivers as much as I. He is a very generous and conscientious guy, he jumps to the chance to work with kids clinics helping youth learn and experience fishing first hand. Unlike many “Pro’s” who do such events because their sponsors nag/require them to do so, he does it because he is a nice guy with a big heart, that’s Dennis. A great guy and a fun guy to fish with….yup…yup!

Great to see ya all here, I forget to check in on the message board in the summer, in the future I will try to pop in more often and say Howdy.

Be well & go catch a piggy!

ED

Bowfinhunter

Ed
    I had a great time and you did everything you could the weather was as good as my luck would allow.
    And you did get fish to bite, it was not your fault I was slow in the uptake. We will get together again.

Bowfinhunter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.