Red tails

• Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I threw a trap in a crick today while mushroom hunting. Two and a half hours later I had more red tails than I know what to do with. How do you fish walleye with these? I mostly just use rainbows or fat heads.

Attachments:
    1. 38E72978-B04C-4866-B6CF-7F0B7033E9A3-scaled.jpeg

2. 0BE52703-38C9-4E37-9B1E-591D82F85100-scaled.jpeg

3. 9E0D16DD-5290-4DAE-94AE-FE78EBD06005-scaled.jpeg

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Oof sorry to hear that man. As good as garbage to walleye. Fortunately I have a reasonable way to dispose of them. I can come pick up tomorrow?

My redtail/creek chub bite really picks up once summer temps have stabilized and weedlines are apparent. Hard to beat a slow troll with a lindy/live bait set up. 6’ish leader and river gap hook. You’ll be able to “feel” the red tail get nervous and Swim more erratic as it’s getting eyed up. So a more sensitive rod is nice to have, with a longer action.

These usually out fish any other set up in the boat 3 to 1 once early July rolls around.

AK Guy

If I’m fishing slow, live bait rig with the chub hooked near the tail. If I’m fishing faster, hooked in the nose.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Thanks, I’ll give them a shot. Probably be trying out before July, I’m thinking this weekend. Maybe I’ll sort out some smaller ones and treat them like a shiner.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks, I’ll give them a shot. Probably be trying out before July, I’m thinking this weekend. Maybe I’ll sort out some smaller ones and treat them like a shiner.

That is exactly what I would do

Red Eye

You sure these are red tails? I dont think the one circled is a red tail. Looks like what we call a big lake shinner.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1872.jpeg

ThunderLund78

Time to consult “The Great Minnesota Fish Book.” Cant tell a lot by the pic and you may indeed have a bunch of redtails, but the one that’s showing his side looks more shiner-esqe – ie a flatter, shad-like body. Retails are officially known Horneyhead clubs and in the spring the males will have “horns” which are hard, boney bumps on their head. Horneyheads also have a slightly more cylindrical body, like a sucker when compared to a shiner. There’s a similar minnow called a Stoneroller which also has pronounced horns, but it has more of a sucker mouth. This is a great and fascinating book, recommend it to all MN fisherman!

Attachments:
    1. 20230522_082744-scaled.jpg

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Here’s a couple of dead ones

Attachments:
    1. 12F70DC5-5E4F-488C-9197-8B88480BA582-scaled.jpeg

Red Eye

Definitely not red tails. We call em lake shinners, what the real name is I have no idea. They still will catch a walleye but their no red tail.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

We call those river shiners, definitely not a red tail. They can be good bait, pike love them. As for walleye bait, I’m sure they will work but they’re definitely not gonna work like red tails do.

AK Guy

Those are not red tails. They will catch you fish, however.

ThunderLund78

Looks like what you got there are creek chubs! The broad, bigger head compared to its body sets it apart from Shiners. But they’re very similar to retails. One key distinction would be a small black spot at the base of the dorsal fin.

Disclaimer- I’m just a geek about these things, all of this is coming from this book and I love nerding out on thus stuff. Not trying to be a know-it-all. Hope it helps inform a positive ID! Here’s the Creek Chub page!

Attachments:
    1. 20230522_103033-scaled.jpg

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Looks like what you got there are creek chubs! The broad, bigger head compared to its body sets it apart from Shiners. But they’re very similar to retails. One key distinction would be a small black spot at the base of the dorsal fin.

Disclaimer- I’m just a geek about these things, all of this is coming from this book and I love nerding out on thus stuff. Not trying to be a know-it-all. Hope it helps inform a positive ID! Here’s the Creek Chub page!

Nope sorry, they’re not chubs, creek or red tail those are a species of shiner. We call them river shiners, 65 bait calls then river shiners.

Slabtown
    Western Wisconsin

Common shiner. Luxilus cornutus

ThunderLund78

Perhaps )
    Not here to argue, just adding info. Common Shiner seems a bit slender and has very big eyes in comparison to its head.

Nothing in the book labeled as River Shiners. The “Red Shiner” would be as close of match to the pics, but are only found in the far Southwestern corner of the state

Attachments:
    1. 20230522_113959-scaled.jpg

JEREMY
    BP

We used to catch them while we were getting creek chubs for catfish bait. They get pretty big. Look like some off breed shiner.

Slabtown
    Western Wisconsin

That illustration is poor, scrawny representation of a common shiner.

LabDaddy1

They look more chub-like than shiner-like to me. I feel like you may be right with your initial ID.

Ripjiggen

Looks like a common shiner to me. Example below.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2281.jpeg

Ripjiggen

Red tail chub.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2282.png

Slabtown
    Western Wisconsin

This is about to turn into a green sunfish thread, and it’s fun. But I’ve collected hundreds of these while being paid for it, and they are common shiners.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Well I was was told they were red tails but whatever they are they are going to catch fish or die trying! Thanks for the replies.

Jimmy Jones

In this picture one can see what looks like a rash on the nose of a couple of the fish. I’d say they were horned chubs.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

In this scoop was one of the mystery minnows in the middle with what I would call creek chubs around it. They are much larger and have been biting the heads of of the smaller other species. I have some that are around seven inches or so and very strong.

Attachments:
    1. 0931D4C1-6817-4117-8B50-9CEBAFC9EDB8.jpeg

Ripjiggen

It’s a minnow. jester
    Looks like a good river mix.

ThunderLund78

Given the reddish fins, I’m thinking you definitely got some redtail (hornyhead) chubs in that mix, the distinct black lateral line in the other one makes me think creek chub for that guy. We definitely got some passionate bait guys here! smile

Like Ripjiggin said – good river mix, probably got chubs and shiners!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m no expert, but what is circled in that latest picture is what I’ve always called a “chub”.

The earlier picture posted has some of what I have always called “shiners”

The easiest way to tell if you have a shiner is to handle it, hook it, even change its water temp 5 degrees, or even look at it wrong and watch it immediately die…

ThunderLund78

There about as challenging to tell apart as an Alligator and a Crocodile. But after years of study, I’ve found that a sure fire way to tell which is which is that for Alligators you’ll see them later– and for Crocodiles, after a while. (Thank you very much!) cool

BigWerm
    SW Metro

There about as challenging to tell apart as an Alligator and a Crocodile. But after years of study, I’ve found that a sure fire way to tell which is which is that for Alligators you’ll see them later– and for Crocodiles, after a while. (Thank you very much!) cool

And how many kids do you have again? #Dadjokes rotflol

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.