Red lake fish house rentals. Any suggestions?

• Nick Schmitz

Just returned from a venture to Upper Red. Was a disaster to say the least. Rental outfitter was terrible. Any suggestions on a good one for the next trip? Possibly on the north side?

Skol
    Lake City

I bet I can guess who provided you the disaster….

If I were to stay on the ice I would check out JR’s. I haven’t personally stayed with JR’s but talking with his crew they appear to be dedicated to putting their clients on fish. I was just there using his roads and he was more than helpful pointing out a hot bite.

haleysgold
    SE MN

So I like to think this site can be for good reports and bad.

I for one would like to hear who the shitty rental was from?

A buddy just came back a couple weeks ago and had rented a sleeper with Boondocks.
    He gave it a 9 out of 10.

munchy
    NULL

If you are wanting the north side go with Red Lake Remote. Those guys know the lake like the back of their hand.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Beacon harbor

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

+1 on Beacon and Red Lake Remote. Jonny P has been on Red forever. His family ran the Washkish Minnow Station Houses for a long time. Kelly his dad sold those houses to Beacon who runs a great operation. The difference between the two is Beacon you drive out to the houses, so you may have neighbors a bit close. Where as Jon track vans you out to unplowed areas. As anyone who fishes Red knows the quieter the better.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Al is spot-on on all fronts.
    Different experience between the two tho just so you are aware.
    With Beacon you can come and go as you like (as in, if you want to go to shore in the evenings to Hillman’s Tall Tales tavern or Westwinds restaurant/bar).
    With Jon, you park your vehicle on shore and he track’s you out to your house for the stay. But if you want hardcore fishing, there’s not a better experience on the lake.
    One other outfitter that I have used several times on the east side is Bearpaw guides. Steve and Tyler live next door to Westwinds, and have always put my son and I on fish in the past.

Nick Schmitz

Thanks for the info. Will defiantly be checking out your suggestions later tonight.

We went through Up North Fish House Rentals. From Friday at 1:00pm to Sunday at 9:00am caught 3 fish. We complained on Saturday when the guy stopped to check on us finally and he didn’t give a poop. Told us that the next fish house was catching fish. We talked to them and they were not. They did nothing to help us with our situation either. The bathroom ordeal was not good either. Who cleans it and just leaves the bag of stuff around the corner of the fish house? An overall terrible experience. Won’t go through them again.

rippinfish

Wow that will put a bad taste in ur mouth,hopefully u can get a trip up there with a guy that can put you on fish and make a memorable trip for you

bullcans
    Northfield MN

PM sent

Nick Schmitz

Up North Fish House Rentals. Never again!

Nick Schmitz

No secrets here! Everything I’ve told them I have shared with everybody else!

crappieguy

Have had a great experience with Outdoor Authority in the past…

Crappy Fisherman

Stayed at Red Lake Remote 6 times in 4 years. Great houses, good fishing, wonderful host. Jonny P. Really takes care of his clients. Most trips we do real good. Book early if you go with him, lots of repeat bookings. All the regulars rebook for the next year. These are our take home fish from a few weeks ago.

Attachments:
    1. image.jpeg

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Did Red Lake Remote with Johnny P last year. Fishing was slow but not his fault. Was slow for almost everyone across the lake.

Rather not post that he’s great in case I want availability but he’s too nice a guy not too.

Fair difference about what you want in a trip. If you’re okay being anti social and staying in one place then it’s good. If you want a bar, restaurant, darts, etc, then one of the others is a better pick.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve stayed at Bearpaw, PortaVilla, Beacon Harbor and one other guy who ran out of Rogers named Arian (Linden Ice Fishing). He was by far the best outfitter I’ve ever gone through. He doesn’t have a website and I never heard of him before, so I was nervous. Rogers said his houses were nice and new, so I took the chance. He was incredibly friendly and checked on us multiple times a day to make sure we had everything we needed. His number is 320-420-1963.

You CANNOT judge a fish house rental by whether you caught fish or not. Sometimes they bite, sometimes they don’t, not much the outfitter can do about it. However, I have also heard Up North was not up to par from many other people.

I base my fish house rentals on how clean they are, if the house was freshly moved, how attentive they are to my needs and how accommodating they are for my requests. Catching fish is just a bonus. Yes, I trust that the outfitter has scouted a bit, but it’s URL…the Walleye roam. one minute you’ll be on a bite and the next it will move 100 yards. URL in a wheelhouse is a waiting game.

Scott Sufka

Couple years ago stayed with upnorth twice. Both times were very disappointing. Hardly check on you and make zero effort to put u on fish. I experienced the bags from outhouse just set on ice next to our house also. Since then I’ve used outdoor authority and beacon harbor. Great experience with both. Have heard great things about red lake remote and Bearpaw as well. Wouldn’t hesitate to use them.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.