Red Lake

• shefland
    Walker

Interested in people’s thoughts and theories on this, Red is as good as it gets from opener and well into June. First ice same thing. July well that is a mystery to me. Gonzo, fished hard today, with only 1 keeper, a few sub 10″ers, 1 tullibee, and surprisingly 3 crappies, very few boats, The lake is teaming with walleyes, what happens? Guess I am out on this midsummer fishing on this lake. It was a nice day to be on the water anyway.

Ripjiggen

They swim across the boarder. whistling

Nodakk

They swim across the boarder. whistling

That’s been my theory. Heading to deeper water

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Agree that makes sense in the summer. In the winter probably also due to slight amount of pressure the lake gets. shock

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I stopped there and fished half a day last week working my way home form LOTW. Hard to pass up a day that Red has fishable wind. I didn’t get much going either. Mostly did BB and spinner. With the warming water (75 deg) I tried deeper too. I saw boats fishing on the north shore very shallow up against the reeds. Didn’t see much caught and I couldn’t figure out what they were fishing for. Moved back to the east side and there were boats south of the boat launch that were fishing shallow also. Some were up on the shelf in 3′ of water. I started trolling a #5 shad rap at the bottom of the break in 6′ of water. Started catching walleyes and several northerns.
    Listening to the fishing show Sunday night, on the radio, Tom Neustron mentioned that they were catching walleyes on Red in 2.5 to 5 feet of water last week. He mentioned with the higher water it is 2′ deeper than normal in front of those reeds on the north shore. Which is usually too shallow to fish. I guess I know now what those boats were doing up north now.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Well known northern MN guide has been going there recently (last week) and catching them in 3.9-4.5 feet. Said it on the radio show last Sunday.

shefland
    Walker

I also tried some cranks in 5′ of water, on the north shore out from the reed, nada for me

eyeguy507
    SE MN

well in spring the walleye stage at the tamarack and spawn in the river. once they do their thing, they leave and head south. pulling spinners or cranks is probably your best bet at finding a few but pretty sure a large majority of fish go over the rez line since that is 80% that cannot be fished. lower red is a lot deeper too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.