Recommendation – Sleeper Ice House Minnetonka

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve got a friend that’s a father of two boys that is looking to get his kids out on an overnight ice fishing trip on Lake Minnetonka. He’s asked me for some recommendations but I’ve honestly never used a sleeper on that lake. Can anyone here help a guy out with some recommendations for a rental that is likely to be clean and well maintained and offer a decent chance at catching some crappies?

Thanks in advance!

Wndrdr

We used https://www.reloutdoors.com/ last year. They were brand new ice castles – everything was clean, they had a Biff setup closeby. I was out there with my 6yr old son and 2 year old daughter, we caught some crappies, nothing huge, but enough fish to keep the kids entertained for a bit. We only did an overnight (were trying to gauge how my daughter would do). We were in a 16ft, I think I would try and book the 17ft next time, so we could have had the microwave (for like popcorn for the kids) and a bit more space.

One thing I didn’t think about, was water for “other things” We brought water to drink, but then used dishes for breakfast in the morning and had to use drinking water to wash those. If we had stayed longer, I would have had to run in to get some more jugs of water.

I was pleased with it though, everything was ready to go, clean and warm when we got there. If I was by myself, I probably would have tried to check out some other areas to fish as well, but if just trying to do a sleeper on Minnetonka I would recommend it

Dan Baker

I stayed in a sleeper by Metro Lakes Marina. It was a really good experience. They had people come out and fill the generators all weekend and they had heated porta-pottys very close. We were over a deep crappie whole and caught plenty of decent crappie and bluegill (metro decent) to keep busy. The houses were well equiped and clean Ice Castles.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

It is funny you bring this up. I was looking last night at close options for a sleeper house. My wife wants to go and try it for a night. The only option I came across was the one Wndrdr shared. Hoping others may have some options since they were booked the day we wanted to go. Her biggest concern is the bathroom and wants a TV. doah At least that keeps her off the other trips. grin

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

It is funny you bring this up. I was looking last night at close options for a sleeper house. My wife wants to go and try it for a night. The only option I came across was the one Wndrdr shared. Hoping others may have some options since they were booked the day we wanted to go. Her biggest concern is the bathroom and wants a TV. doah At least that keeps her off the other trips. grin

I get to ice fish quite a bit but I know next to nothing about sleeper shacks on Minnetonka so to all those that threw out some ideas… THANK YOU! I’ll pass the info on to my friend.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

In Towne Marina and one other place rent them on Lake Waconia too, if they are ok driving a little further.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

In Towne Marina and one other place rent them on Lake Waconia too, if they are ok driving a little further.

Towne Marina comes up as temporarily closed and has no overnights. Must be afraid of prostitution.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Towne Marina comes up as temporarily closed and has no overnights.

They just close between seasons, you could reach out on FB I think. Otherwise Rent-A-Shack is on FB or by phone 952-666-8893 and has an ice castle they rent out as well. I haven’t used a house from either, just see them post online.

queenswake
    NULL

Do they try to disguise them at all? On a lake like Minnetonka, I could see a group of new Ice Castles surrounding a porta pottie as a dead giveaway as rentals and this, where the fish are. Minnetonka can be tough in the winter, so I would think people would swarm to where the rentals are.

Ripjiggen

It’s a big lake. Lots of places to fish.

zooks

I stayed in a sleeper by Metro Lakes Marina. It was a really good experience. They had people come out and fill the generators all weekend and they had heated porta-pottys very close. We were over a deep crappie whole and caught plenty of decent <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie and bluegill (metro decent) to keep busy. The houses were well equiped and clean Ice Castles.

A family friend owns Metro Lakes Marina, he runs a really nice operation – new and clean houses, good staff, on top of his stuff. I’m sure there’s lots of other good places on the lake, good luck with what you find

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Do they try to disguise them at all? On a lake like Minnetonka, I could see a group of new Ice Castles surrounding a porta pottie as a dead giveaway as rentals and this, where the fish are. Minnetonka can be tough in the winter, so I would think people would swarm to where the rentals are.

All the rentals I’ve seen on tonka they just place them in the crappie holes surrounded by other people.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.