reclaiming a Muskie lure

• Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

The original factory finish peeled right off the lure body in big chunks. I really liked the action of this lure so I set about putting on a new finish. I’m not much of a painter so I started by peeling away the remaining pieces of the original finish. I then gave it a coat of clear epoxy. Followed by a sprinkling of glitter while the first coat of epoxy was still wet. Once it was “set” I gave the entire thing a top coat to encase everything.

I hope the fish approve my efforts.

Attachments:
    1. complete_lure.jpg

Iowaboy1

nicely done !! to heck with taking it to the water,hang it under a disco light and the skies will beat your door down trying to get to it !!

rubberduck
    east bethel

Nicely done Sir! waytogo

Betcha ya get some good meals of cheeks with that! whistling

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I think you’ve re-created a keeper. Nice job!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

nicely done !! to heck with taking it to the water,hang it under a disco light and the skies will beat your door down trying to get to it !!

rotflol rotflol
    Completely agreed. Looks great man.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Thanks guys, It does sparkle a bit grin If nothing else it should get a few follows.

stinkfinger

What bait is that, Sidewinder or old Salmo?

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I have heard the girls at the strip club like to use glitter. But boy Dave you must have had a pile on you to make that lure. It looks good. Where did you find that blue glitter? I like how it is a strip instead of a dot.

404 ERROR
    MN

That’s really cool! That color combo on a rippin’ rap looks like it would do well for Walleye also.

Where did you find that blue glitter? I like how it is a strip instead of a dot.

If I recall, princess sold it to him. She was working to pay for her degree in entrepreneurship and saw a sales opportunity.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

What bait is that, Sidewinder or old Salmo?

It was made by a company in Poland, “HRTLURES”. At the time, these lures were being distributed by Gapen Company (Dan Gapen) for those old enough to have visited with him personally.

The lure itself is a floating lure, which had a crappie pattern originally. It is 5 inches long and quite wide top to bottom. It weighs 1.8 ounces. It has really good action and can be made to imitate a struggling and injured meal.

Will have to see if the new color combo is as effective as the original crappie pattern.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have heard the girls at the strip club like to use glitter.

Oh gosh, I think I’ve been “outed”. While this MAY be a legit source,,, there are other places where the glitter comes at a lower cost per pinch. wave

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

That’s really cool! That color combo on a rippin’ rap looks like it would do well for Walleye also.

That or a Walleye color would do well for Muskie!

Where did you find that blue glitter? I like how it is a strip instead of a dot.

I picked up these two colors in the craft dept. of Walmart. If memory serves me, gold and silver were dots and the other colors were very tiny strips. Don’t remember exactly what colors were there but they did have several choices.

Just looked at the container; imported by Horizon Group USA made in Shanghai, China. The blue was labeled as “holographic” blue. The term “holographic” may be key in getting strips rather than dots, if one finds something on-line.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Thanks Dave. I will have to swing in on my way home. I also have a lure I was looking at redoing this weekend and you gave me a great idea. Hopefully it turns out as good as yours.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Thanks Dave. I will have to swing in on my way home. I also have a lure I was looking at redoing this weekend and you gave me a great idea. Hopefully it turns out as good as yours.

I rigged the lure up to my rod turner to keep the lure rotating while the epoxy set. If you don’t have something like that, you will want to manually rotate the lure every 10 minutes or so, to keep the epoxy from sagging and taking the glitter with it.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Good tip. I will put on my rod turner.

kerry59
    Goshen Ohio

And you said your not much of a painter, Love it

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.