Receiver lock recommendations.

• Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I just bought a new to me truck….to tow the new boat….if a trolling motor and Helix ever show up. On my old truck I put a Master Lock dogbone style lock for the receiver. After a couple of years (6-8 years ago) it wouldn’t unlock. Now it and the receiver are part of the truck. I guess I should have taken it off once a year to clean and lube it. But years go pretty fast.

Any better locks out there?

stevenoak

Maybe a bit Redneck, but functional. I padlock my safety cable direct to the loop on the hitch when I pull my boat. Just a hitch pin in the coupler. The hitch and ball have seen 10 Midwest winters in my old truck. If someone steals it. Hope the have a tetanus shot. Then I’ll get around to getting a new one for the new truck. I just use a basic receiver and ball. Never lost one. I’m a bit leery of pin with the cap lock on the end. Have had the cap come off when double checking to see if it was locked on.

mrpike1973

I replace my hitch lock every 2 years regardless keep it lubed still goes bad. On a side note I lost the key for the hitch lock. Was very worried how to get it off using a jab hack saw had it off in wait for it 3 minutes. Sad but still use them. This was also a spendy stainless steel one for 40 bucks. Wish I could tell you a good one piece of mind is about all they do.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I run something similar to Suzuki, and yeah they will get seized up if not taken off and lubed once in a while. Best to take the draw bars out when not in use anyway, I have had to use a logging chain and a telephone pole more than once to get stuck ones out. mrgreen

CBMN
    North Metro

I have to say that I take my receiver out whenever I am not towing something. I currently have an extended length receiver that has rocktamers on it so it is a pain to leave in anyway so that sure helps with receiver life as I use mine year round and they really don’t rust terribly if I simply wipe of dirt or salt and pressure wash occasionally. A few years ago I found a Bolt hitch lock in the Bargain Cave at Cabelas and noticed it could be keyed to your vehicle key. It was really convenient to have a lock keyed to the truck key and I bought a new one when I got a new truck and it has been similarly simple to use and I don’t have to worry about loosing little odd ball key. They have different models for different manufactures…

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Hitch_Lock-pm-Bolt.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google%20%7C%20Search%20-%20Trailer%20Hitch%20Lock&adgroupid=100001058444&campaignid=9565320606&creative=423377919979&device=c&devicemodel=&feeditemid=&keyword=bolt%20hitch%20lock&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9019656&matchtype=e&network=g&placement=&position=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-ur62tew8QIVP2pvBB2FaA5qEAAYASAAEgKq2PD_BwE

KPE
    River Falls, WI

The way I look at it, if someone REALLY wants to steal it they will find a way. twice I’ve lost the key for the lock I use and twice I’ve removed the lock in under a minute with a hammer.

I still use a lock because I’ve seen pins just pop out while moving so I like to have the “pin” locked in place, but it certainly isn’t theft proof. Just know that going into it. Boat insurance is cheap and worthwhile.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

This is the one I use. Stainless steel with brass lock. Cheep enough to replace every couple of years. About $15 on Amazon

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

This is the one I use. Stainless steel with brass lock. Cheep enough to replace every couple of years. About $15 on Amazon

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Master Lock Receiver Lock, Stainless Steel Barbell Receiver Lock, Fits 5/8 in. Receivers, 1469DAT” type=”text/html” width=”850″ height=”550″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” style=”max-width:100%” src=”https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=df0&ref_=k4w_oembed_zEjj0DCC5NkpYG&asin=B001AVSIOI&tag=hyprod-20″></iframe></div&gt;

Similar to what I have/had. Start man would buy 3 keyed alike and replace it every 2-3 years. I have only been accused of being smart once.

EDIT: After looking at my truck and website that is exactly what’s on it. Note to self – don’t wait 8 years to take it off.

robby
    Quad Cities

I use one made by Master. Nothing fancy. I am not saying it cannot be defeated, but I will tell you this. I attempted to cut one off once, that pin is hard metal! Ended up breaking the lock mechanism with a bit a persuasion. Anyways, these are not expensive and can be found in the Automotive Section, near the trailer accessories, at Walmart etc..

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I have to say that I take my receiver out whenever I am not towing something. I currently have an extended length receiver that has rocktamers on it so it is a pain to leave in anyway so that sure helps with receiver life as I use mine year round and they really don’t rust terribly if I simply wipe of dirt or salt and pressure wash occasionally. A few years ago I found a Bolt hitch lock in the Bargain Cave at Cabelas and noticed it could be keyed to your vehicle key. It was really convenient to have a lock keyed to the truck key and I bought a new one when I got a new truck and it has been similarly simple to use and I don’t have to worry about loosing little odd ball key. They have different models for different manufactures…

Ive replied 3 times now and the form would not publish my responce so I’m trying agaion and deleting the link.

I have had the “Bolt” lock on my reciever for 9 years no issues. A tad bit of “Tri Flow” and it stays smooth as silk. The one key Bolt is on my topper doors as well.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I had to have the longer pin for the change in reciever dimensions. Here is a Bolt link.
    BOLT

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Master Lock Receiver Lock, Stainless Steel Barbell Receiver Lock, Fits 5/8 in. Receivers, 1469DAT” type=”text/html” width=”850″ height=”550″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” style=”max-width:100%” src=”https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=df0&ref_=k4w_oembed_zEjj0DCC5NkpYG&asin=B001AVSIOI&tag=hyprod-20″></iframe></div&gt;

Same one I use. Works like it should so far. I think it’s been 5 years now and only lubed the locking part. I rarely take mine off but might have to after reading this thread. This one had plenty of wiggle room if I remember right.

Coletrain27

Here’s a video I saw a while back shows how easily most of them can be broke off

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

I’ve got the bolt lock like in the video. What’s nice about them besides strength is you use your vehicle ignition key. The fist time you use it put your key in and turn it. You’re all set to go. One less key to to keep track of.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.