Rathbun 4/30/05

• james
    Ankeny Iowa

I’m planning a trip down there this weekend and would like to know how things are going. It has been many many years sence I’ve been there. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Will be after eyes and was wondering if the north shore would be the place to start ? Will be catch and release.

herb
    6ft under

Jim, try the area from the dam to Island View ramps. There are some humps about 200 yds from the ramps. Then try the Rolling Cove area. Troll it from the Island View ramps to the Rolling cove ramp. Then try the mouth of South Fork and the old road bed going out into the main lake.
    Fishing Hot Spots map will show these areas.
    Might be a good drift all along the north shore also. Especially from Ranger Point past the mouth of Honey Creek.

3way
    eastern iowa.

finally lake rathbun crappies have peaked again and lots of them. they say it should last 3years. just got back from a weekend trip. friday was a great day, didn’t have to keep any crappies under 10inches. lots between 12″ to 15″. saturday wasn’t so good weather wise, but we caught many large fish. course you also catch the channel cats up shallow eating all the crappie spawn too. a few smaller eyes shallow also, hopefully they were eating the catfish the crappies were still full of spawn and the eggs were a bright yellowish orange. they were not against the shorelines, at least the days we were there. jigs, crankbaits with no bait all worked great. they were holding out in the first deeper dropoff. once you found them and could stay on them, let the fun begin. very tempting to make another trip this weekend. i think the biggy crappiethon is this saturday. too busy for me, have to pick a few days during the week and just call in sick

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.