Rapala UL #4 Rippin Raps

• Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

These are getting tough to find. If anyone is having trouble, I’m hearing Dakota Angler in Sioux Falls just got a big shipment in. They have a website http://www.dakotaangler.com that has an online store. They’ll ship them to you if you aren’t in the area.

I’m guessing they’ll go quickly though…

Andy

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I know this off topic… and yes, they are gone at most places around me. I’ve actually never even seen one.

Anyone expect to use these during the summer?

Like they did on the ido show for (I think) early walleyes? They used bigger ones. Maybe these for crappie?

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Got some today from krugerfarms.com. Ordered them yesterday and received them noon today. Gave me free shipping and no tax since I am from out of state. Best part is only $4.79 each. Great service and price-can’t beat it.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I throw small crankbaits for crappies in open water. So yes I can see a use. Also for SM Bass.

lundojam

They have a few at Joe’s in St. Paul.

mattgroff

Cabelas in Woodbury was out Saturday. They said there shipment is gone in 2 days every time they come in.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

They were worthless for me this weekend in SD

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

My son caught 2 crappies with one last weekend..

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i cant remember the last time there was so much buzz surrounding a lure! i mean there are always advertisments and people saying this is good or that is good but this is the 3rd or 4th thread about this lure this month and they are sold out in America! its like rapala just flew in the beatles circa 1964 around here

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

I tried them this last weekend. I got fish to look but had to drop down a jigging rap to get them to bite.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I tried them this last weekend. I got fish to look but had to drop down a jigging rap to get them to bite.

Esp. mid-winter, we see that alot, but whether you’re talking about that bait, a blade, or a chubby-darter, it’s as much to draw them in as anything. From there, it’s up to your dead-stick, bobber rod, or alternative presentation to get them to eat. I’m a big believer in rattle style baits to attract fish as much as catch them.

Where the UL #4 Rippin’ Rap shines above those others is that its smaller size and profile get more of those “tweeners” that are interested yet somewhat neutral to actually eat. It also won’t scare away panfish like some of those other baits will, so it definitely has a place in the tackle box from what I’ve found.

Joel

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

i cant remember the last time there was so much buzz surrounding a lure!

..That’s the way it was when the Shad Rap 1st came out way back when… …rrr

KP
    Hudson, WI

I found some today but not sure if I should share where I found them. Ill just share it was around the Eden Prairie area… whistling

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Where the UL #4 Rippin’ Rap shines above those others is that its smaller size and profile get more of those “tweeners” that are interested yet somewhat neutral to actually eat.

Great point Joel! This is one of the primary things that I cover in crank-bait seminars. Its finding that bait that negative fish will hit, or neutral fish to get aggressive on. Sometimes its the subtle size difference, change in color, or change in action. Time after time, you will see that all baits will get bit. But take a closer look at how the fish eats them. If your getting curiousity bumps, you’ll often just have them hooked by the back treb in the lip. Great baits get eaten while others only get bit. I’m not a Rapala guy, so I could care less on their sales. BUT, I am a firm believer in endorsing what I use, and using what I endorse.

Here is a vital difference in the Rippin Rap Vs. most other baits of this style. How the nose dives and the distribution of weight as it dives. I’ve been vertical jigging a number of different lipless baits for many years. Well before the popularity hit any shows. However, most baits have a tendency to roll or spiral as they drop. Some much worse than others. That is a primary reason why I like the Koppers Live Target Gizzard shad so much (besides the life-like color). But they don’t make a smaller version like the UL-RR. I sure wish they did. Rapala is producing a great bait that deserves the coverage they are receiving.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I like the live forage rippin shad. Own every color in every size and have kept them stocked. They’ve been my “Rippin Rap” for the last few years.

Unbelievable how well they work when worked right. My go-to search lure. I can rip that a few times in each hole while searching and i know that nothing is around if nothing comes to check it out. Have a 2nd rod ready for when i do mark something.

Caught a lot of walleyes first ice on the rippin shad!

Oh, nevermind. Just realized i like that i can find those on the shelf…They’re no good )

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

I like the live forage rippin shad. Own every color in every size and have kept them stocked. They’ve been my “Rippin Rap” for the last few years.

Unbelievable how well they work when worked right. My go-to search lure. I can rip that a few times in each hole while searching and i know that nothing is around if nothing comes to check it out. Have a 2nd rod ready for when i do mark something.

Caught a lot of walleyes first ice on the rippin shad!

Oh, nevermind. Just realized i like that i can find those on the shelf…They’re no good )

…Hey FishBlood. How about that sports store on the West side of your town. Are they all sold out to.?… rrr

bee
    Maine

Got some today from krugerfarms.com. Ordered them yesterday and received them noon today. Gave me free shipping and no tax since I am from out of state. Best part is only $4.79 each. Great service and price-can’t beat it.

You must be special. I looked and the shipping was way more than the lures price. Shot the price up to around 11.00

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

@riverratrandy

It’s sold year round in either cabelas or FF.
    I’d bet they are stocked. I know FF for sure but didn’t look around the cabelas section to confirm. They are almost never out of them.

I won’t walk into either of those stores today…Been in both them the last two days and bought way more than i wanted to ) I couldn’t pass up a few of the deals i found!

nord

They are out of the #4 in Cabela’s in Owatonna, they do have some #5 Rippen Raps. I’ll check today and see if anything has changed.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tgruenke wrote:</div>
    It also won’t scare away panfish like some of those other baits will, so it definitely has a place in the tackle box from what I’ve found.

Joel

That is a good point. I was using one a few weeks ago and I was actually catching small perch on them. They are small enough for pan fish but yet the bigger eyes will hit them as well. Great all around lure.

Travis Truhler

I can’t get enough of the great information you guys share on IDO and I was rewarded for getting my hands on a # 4 rippin rap with this mid winter bass the other day. -Thanks Guys

Attachments:
    1. Bass-on-a-4-ul-rippin-rap.jpg

NowthenJoe

There were a few colors in stock at Rogers Cabelas today. Colors were Orange UV, Gold Chrome, Firetiger and Helsinki Shad if I remember correctly.

They are also clearing out a lot of their ice fishing tackle. Not huge markdowns, but certainly better prices than earlier this year.

-Joe

nord

Owatonna got 6 of the pearl white in today. Now they are down to 5.

4seasonsport
    Inactive
    Red Wing, MN

Guys,I just wanted to jump in and let you know we have a fair number in stock. They do go quickly though. Stop in and grab some while you can. Chris Winchester

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

A little off topic but those of you that have fished this lure (i have yet to get any myself though i plan to) do you think it will work in a horizontal presentation too? im thinking that this might be a good lure to pitch in early spring for bass and crappie

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

A little off topic but those of you that have fished this lure (i have yet to get any myself though i plan to) do you think it will work in a horizontal presentation too? im thinking that this might be a good lure to pitch in early spring for bass and crappie

BINGO – we have a winner
    These walleyes and bass are all late March or first of April pitching a gizzard shad. Slightly bigger bait, but you get the idea. Work them just like a blade bait

Attachments:
    1. DSCN5936Crop.jpg

2. DSCN5962.jpg

3. DSCN5965.jpg

matt

Picked a couple up at Jr’s Tackle Outlet in Brooklyn Park today.They had a few hanging on the shelf

ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

Scheels in Fargo has a bunch but no UV colors.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.