Rapala Jigging Rap

• Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

What sizes do like for walleye in the open water season? Also what colors are good choices?

Thanks guys!!

Steve

Bob Erfish

Have used them several times, still haven’t caught a single fish. I’m not done trying though!

I’m guessing most will say to keep switching colors till you find one that works. Where I fish white and purple are the “hot” colors for me

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

#7 in glow yellow perch usually works well for me.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Have used them several times, still haven’t caught a single fish. I’m not done trying though!

I’m guessing most will say to keep switching colors till you find one that works. Where I fish white and purple are the “hot” colors for me

Keep at it Bob, jigging raps are my go to anywhere I fish really. They catch anything that swims! I prefer the smaller ones and twitch of the rod tip not rips!

Wingman99
    Elk River, MN

Catch more fish on #5 but bigger fish on #7. Not sure color matters as much as giving it the right action. Summer is fast snap of the wrist and return to bottom on slack line, repeat. I catch tons of fish on raps in the summer. Don’t give up they can be a game changer…

Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

A No.5 2inch Parrot color. That’s what I was told to use where I’m at, but it does seems to work in the lakes Up North too

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

My first caught fish on a jigging rap was No 9 Chartreuse and white , a northern hit it like a freight train . Since then i own about 30 of them and have yet to catch another roll

Al Case

“I prefer the smaller ones and twitch of the rod tip not rips!”
    What size are “the smaller ones”, Bob?

Buckeye1

#7 fly really far when the leader knot catches on an eyelet.

Don’t ask how I know. bawling

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Or a wind knot on the top guide , they fly really far !

Karry Kyllo

I use #7’s on occasion, but mostly #9’s in open water. The colors vary greatly depending upon conditions and where I’m fishing.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

“I prefer the smaller ones and twitch of the rod tip not rips!”
    What size are “the smaller ones”, Bob?

smaller than the bigger ones

toddrun

I have had a couple of Jigging Raps over the years, and never caught a fish on them either, but tried them every once in a while. Then up on LOW I had some success fishing through the ice with them, and kind of figured out the technique. This year on LOW, I picked up a couple of Rippin Raps, and holy crap, they were like candy to the Walleye/Sauger. Thinking bait shops may be limited this spring, social distancing, I picked up a bunch of Rippin Raps for the tackle box, as they were on sale at Fleet Farm. Maybe went a bit overboard, lots of colors and sized, but I think I have enough to give it a good go on open water this year.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Me, only run the largest size.
    Make and paint my own too.
    All size 9

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

7 and 9 depends on the day if yoU limit to sizes you will be missing out. ?i have had many days one will catch other won’t.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Agree with you Mike! I always used #9 and last fall my brother had a #7 on, he caught all the fish the first day, and second day all came on #9

Ice Cap

I only started using them ice fishing this year. I caught several nice wallleye on them first time out. Looking forward to trying them this summer.

Ice Cap

Do you guys direct tie? swivel snap?

I use a swivel snap. I like to be able to change baits quickly. Tying knots doesn’t allow me to do that on a rocking boat and my eyes aren’t that good anymore.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Keep the tricks and tips coming, we could all learn from each other!!

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

James and Cal from a few years ago

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.