Rapala DT’s How to fish them to catch Big Walleyes !!

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey All !!

I wanna share how I fish the Rapala DT’s, especially on Wing Dams… I’ll add photos
    I like to spot lock my boat above the wingy so I can make an easy cast past the rock pile and bring my DT back over the top of the WD. Once I first hit the rocks I come to a complete stop… The DT’s have such a sweet neutral buoyancy about them they they sit tight right at the rocks.. I then give the DT a couple of cranks and then pause again (two cranks) pause for about 3-5 seconds and then a couple of cranks again….. I do this until I quit feeling the rocks of the WD. Then a steady retrieve back to the boat…. I may throw in a couple of twitches on the way back…

If your DY is hitting bottom all the way back ? Repeat the pause system until you quit feeling bottom…

Pretty simple actually…. Adjust your DT to the depth your fishing…. If my boat is parked in 10 fow… I use a DT-10…If my boat is parked in 6 fow… DT-6 and so on….

People…. These are by far my favorite river crank… put a few in your tackle box and give them a shot !!

The Tug Is the Drug !!

Attachments:
    1. 20210917_124425-scaled.jpg

2. 20210917_123958-scaled.jpg

3. wingdam.jpg

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Aaaannnndddddd there’s a couple hundred more dollars i need to spend on baits… Thanks Dave…

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Nice fish David.

MX1825

Sweet Mr. Koonce! Dandy fish! waytogo waytogo

Dink buster

Great report. Just curious what kind of line are you using? I’ve only vertical jigged for walleye near the dams with braid. New to fishing in general and especially walleye fishing.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Great report. Just curious what kind of line are you using? I’ve only vertical jigged for walleye near the dams with braid. New to fishing in general and especially <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye fishing.

Not sure what Dave runs but most guys will be pitching cranks with braid. Something like and 8# suffix 832 or similar line.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Great report. Just curious what kind of line are you using? I’ve only vertical jigged for walleye near the dams with braid. New to fishing in general and especially <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye fishing.

20# Suffix 832 braid to a barrel swivel to 15# Suffix fluorocarbon to the snap… the floro only needs to be 12″…that should save a lot of lost cranks in the rocks of the wingdams. I can get away with alot heavier line on the river…

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Dave – great info. I’ve done this before and loved it…. I need to add the pause in though vs just plowing it back up the face of the rocks.

Question…. How do you think current effects the running depth of these and other cranks on the river?

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Love that feeling when they slam that crank!! smash

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Dave – great info. I’ve done this before and loved it…. I need to add the pause in though vs just plowing it back up the face of the rocks.

Question…. How do you think current effects the running depth of these and other cranks on the river?

Completely different than lakes… I will keep a close eye on river stage and flow…. But what doesn’t change is the feel… my retrieve is mostly feel dependent…

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I have a spot on my lake. I let the Lindy riggers fish it. Wait em out until they leave at dusk. I chuck a DT-10. I do pretty well. Not every time. Sometimes pesky bass and pike get in the way. Hard to catch an eater. Too big.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I have a spot on my lake. I let the Lindy riggers fish it. Wait em out until they leave at dusk. I chuck a DT-10. I do pretty well. Not every time. Sometimes pesky bass and pike get in the way. Hard to catch an eater. Too big.

That is Awesome!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.