Cutting fiberglass

• b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

What do you guys you use to cut fiberglass, preferably minimizing the mess? I need to make the square hole in my dash a half inch taller for a new locator. I’ve only ever drilled a cable hole before so i am not sure what the best tool is for the job. There is a vinyl layer but I assume whatever is cutting the fiberglass won’t have any issues with that.

Thanks.
    Brent

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would use the finest tooth blade in my jig saw…. also tape everything up, so you don’t scratch anything.

big G

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I would use a diamond coated dremel tool.

Definitely tape everything up first and where a mask so you don’t breath any of that dust in.

If you can have a second person hold a vacuum hose next to the cutter while you run the dremel it will greatly reduce the mess.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Yep, tape it up. New sharp blade. Start by drilling out holes in the new corners. Go slow and try not to create too much friction.

-J.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Thanks guys. I thought about a jig saw but I was thinking it might be too much vibration since I am trimming a half inch off an already existing hole. Maybe not with a good blade. I was thinking a Dremel would work too.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

The jig saw did the trick. I got a blade for fiberglass and took it slow. Now I got me a HDS 5 installed in my dash. Thanks for the help!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.