Back into a Tiller!

• ted-merdan

New to me last summer – ’06 Ranger 620T. Came with a 115 E-TEC, replaced it with a ’10 – 150 E-TEC and kept the hydraulic steering. Swapped the 24v bow mount for a 36V maxxum pro. Kept the 36v Vantage on the back. Sold the electronics (now Tuckner catches more fish… ) and installed a pair of Lowrance 113’s with the broadband sounder. Picks are from last November when I put it away, just pulled it out of storage last week and am installing digital lowrance gauges over the next few weeks.

After running 7 different console Rangers since 2002 (619, 620’s and 621’s) I am very excited to be back into a tiller since I haven’t had one since 1999. It was an absolute blast to fish out of last summer and I can finally backtroll the way it was meant to be done!

The torque of the engine is amazing – sub 3 second on plane – even with 4 guys, full fuel and two livewells full.

Can’t wait to get back up to Mille Lacs and have some fun this summer!

-ted

PS – Thanks to member Bob Bowman as he made the financing a breeze!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Sure is a sexy rig..

Bob Bowman
    MN

You are welcome, it was my pleasure

Beautiful boat Buddy

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

That…My friend…Is a sweet ride …RR

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Congrats on putting together an awesome fish catching machine.

I hope you enjoy it for many years.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Wow!! Sweet asz machine Ted

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I’ve always wondered why they make walleye boats with steering wheels.

Sweet rig!

inge66

Very nice and Bob always makes things easy.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Very nice and Bob always makes things easy.

Except cleaning fish

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

Nice looking boat. A white E-Tec would have really set it off.
    Walleyebry #993

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

I was thinking one of them grey motors would really set it off. All jokes aside thats one nice boat.

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

One of those “Grey” motors adds over a hundred pounds in the 150hp. configuration. Who needs the extra weight?

Walleyebry #993

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Quote:

I’ve always wondered why they make walleye boats with steering wheels.

Sweet rig!

x2!

Ted you have to let us know how the 150 trolls down. I’ve heard so many people say the 150hp just trolls too fast on a 620T. I have a 115hp Yamaha on mine. It has plenty of power and I love how it trolls. The only issue is being a guide I have to sometimes take out 4 plus myself and then the motor is a little too small. I was thinking about going to 150hp on my next boat to accommodate this demand but I don’t want to sacrifice my boat control.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

One of those “Grey” motors adds over a hundred pounds in the 150hp. configuration. Who needs the extra weight?

Walleyebry #993

Super sweet ride, Ted.

Re: the weight difference between motors…

A yamaha 150 weighs 476 lbs.

An Etec 150 weighs 418 or 433, depending on the model.

That’s 58 lbs difference on the high end, 43 Lbs on the low.

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

Why would any red blooded american buy a motor thats in Wisconsin when they can buy one thats built in Japan?

Walleyebry #993

Bob Bowman
    MN

I forgot to mention…we need to muskie fish out of your boat this summer at least once Ted

I would love to stand in that dance hall you call the front deck on that boat just once hucking baits

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Why would any red blooded american buy a motor thats in Wisconsin when they can buy one thats built in Japan?

Walleyebry #993

Sheeesh man. I was just pointing out accurate info regarding the weight difference. I’m sure the Etec is a great motor… and I’ve got nothing but for Ted’s motor choice as long as he’s happy with it.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Nice looking boat Ted.

Now I know what to look for this Summer, when I’m out there!

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Sweet rig

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Great looking boat Ted!

Update: The graphs aren’t helping Tuck enough….

Jami

ted-merdan

Quote:

Update: The graphs aren’t helping Tuck enough….

Probably should have said now Tuck can find himself… no that may not be accurate either. Maybe now Tuck will know where he is!!! (J/K big guy! )

Thanks for all the nice words I am excited about this rig and all the options that it will provide me for years to come.

Attached is an image of what it looked like when I bought it and the white E-TEC was not for me – not to mention how small that 115 looks on the boat. I am a fan of blue yet bought a used maroon truck and now a boat with no blue on it so adding the blue E-TEC on it toned down the white interior and helps the boat ‘blend’ while on the water…

Trolls down in fwd to just under 2 MPH with a 17 or 18 pitch 4 blade cyclone and 1.6’ish with a 19p high 5. I always use a pair of trolling bags off the bow (even in flat calm) for boat control – wheel or tiller – and that drops me down to 1.1 or so. If I need to go slower, I just drop the vantage as a 36v will go quite a long time.

Performance is unbeliveable – 3 second hole shot with 4 guys, 2 labs, full tackle, gas and livewells and will run 46-47 with a 17 – 18p 4 blade cyclone. By myself with no tackle, empty wells and light on fuel I hit 54 before going into the rev limiter with a 17p 4 blade cyclone going downstream with a slight August current on the Champlin pool of the Mississippi – and was still climbing on speed… Hate to say it but that’s faster than I ever got any of my (3) 621/F250’s to go while off the trailer.

I have driven several 620T/F150’s and will say this – do your homework and form your opinion off your own experience, not word of mouth. There was no question for me on what motor I was going to put on my boat but I am a recent E-TEC believer based on experience. I have a F150 on my 22′ pontoon and it does fine there – acutally the hole shot would shock most people. The big sled can hit 40 via gps but I have a 15 pitch prop so with a medium load it will turn 6K RPM’s.

Bob – would love to do that, don’t know if my walleye/bass hands could take a day of that work though

Lip – how will I recognize you? Will you have a car seat with an umbrella hooked up? Let me know if you want some pointers on how I have done it…

The second image is one of my most memorable days on the water – my 2 year old and Chesney (the fishing lab) re-catching some panfish from her first outing in the tiller.

-ted

impalapower
    Madison, WI

That white motor doesn’t look right. Good choice on changing colors. Used Ranger tillers are hard to find, I could use one.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Quote:

I am a fan of blue yet bought a used maroon truck and now a boat with no blue on it so adding the blue E-TEC on it toned down the white interior and helps the boat ‘blend’ while on the water…

-ted

So you say you like blue? As do I, below is a pic of mine. I plan on getting a new one next year depending on what I can find. That’s why I’m wondering whether to go with a 115hp or 150hp. This year will be my research year. The performance you’re getting sounds great though.

Quote:

Trolls down in fwd to just under 2 MPH with a 17 or 18 pitch 4 blade cyclone and 1.6’ish with a 19p high 5. I always use a pair of trolling bags off the bow (even in flat calm) for boat control – wheel or tiller – and that drops me down to 1.1 or so. If I need to go slower, I just drop the vantage as a 36v will go quite a long time.

Performance is unbeliveable – 3 second hole shot with 4 guys, 2 labs, full tackle, gas and livewells and will run 46-47 with a 17 – 18p 4 blade cyclone. By myself with no tackle, empty wells and light on fuel I hit 54 before going into the rev limiter with a 17p 4 blade cyclone going downstream with a slight August current on the Champlin pool of the Mississippi – and was still climbing on speed… Hate to say it but that’s faster than I ever got any of my (3) 621/F250’s to go while off the trailer.

I have driven several 620T/F150’s and will say this – do your homework and form your opinion off your own experience, not word of mouth. There was no question for me on what motor I was going to put on my boat but I am a recent E-TEC believer based on experience. I have a F150 on my 22′ pontoon and it does fine there – acutally the hole shot would shock most people. The big sled can hit 40 via gps but I have a 15 pitch prop so with a medium load it will turn 6K RPM’s.

-ted

Thanks for all the info Ted. If you’re ever up on Mille Lacs and need a fishin partner I’d love to see how your rig performs. I’ve heard both good and bad about the ETec’s but I’d like to judge for myself, as you recommended, before I write them off.

Thanks

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Walleyebry #993

So its OK if Canada (foreign country) gets the business but not Japan (Foreign country)?

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I’d rather buy from the Canadians over Japan. Is Canada really foreign eh? Its a part of North America.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.