SeaStar Top off and bleed

• carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

I need to add oil and bleed my steering. Haven’t done it before and will follow mfg. recommendations. Does anyone have any tips or sugestions based on experience? I’m surprised to see the purge ports just have friction fit plastic caps on them is that normal. You’d think the pressure would blow fluid by them.

hisser
    Chatfield, Mn

Mine came with a hose and screw in connector for the helm which makes filling very easy. As far as the purge ports the plastic caps are only dust caps the port is a bleed valve and needs to be loosened to allow air and fluid to escape.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

If you decide to do the job yourself, take pics and post ’em up. I’d be interested in how it’s done!

-J.

ted-merdan

good points above. The bleed fittings are loosened/tightened with a wrench – put a rag below so clean up will be easier. Also put some plastic and a rag/towel on your floor as the fuid doesn’t come out of your carpet very easy/makes a nasty stain so i have been told (or something like that)…

It’s a two person job in my opinion. Turn the wheel completely to one side. Attach the hose to the fitting on top of the steering column and the other end to the fluid, tip the bottle up and puch a hole in the bottom of the bottle with the thumb tack – you are attempting to purge the line of air so that’s why the procedure is such. Loosen up the fitting on one side (don’t recall which side for turn but trial and error here – see note on rag/plastic ) push fluid in and turn wheel to the other side. Then repeat with other fitting. Contiue to repeat until no further air comes out and/or your steering feel ‘fluid’ without gaps which are air bubbles.

This is the jist of it from memory – I need to do it again this spring on my pontoon…

Good luck and would also like to see pics and update anything I misstated above.

-ted

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

How often does this have to be done ? How do I know if it needs to be done ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.