3 bank on board charger?

• riverwrat
    Hastings/ Northfeild,MN

Any of you Ranger boys had a problem with the on board charger in 2006 model? 620T!

walleyeflats
    Illinois City, Illinois

What kind of problem?

riverwrat
    Hastings/ Northfeild,MN

when charging only the left lights show up for the 12 volt cranking. The other two banks either blink or flash a single red light i put a charge on the 24 volt with a charger and checked them and there good! Pain in the rear taking the back inspection cover off to hook a charger up!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I had an issue with the charger in my 2003 620T. It had one red light on each bank and from what I was told that means the unit is bad. The reason mine went bad was it was water logged by the previous owner. Ranger gets their chargers from Dual Pro, so instead of buying a marked up Ranger Charger I’d recommend buying a 3 bank Dual Pro. They are the same unit only they don’t say Ranger on them. From my research the Dual Pros are very good chargers and that would explain why Ranger uses them I guess.

I bought a Dual Pro, Pro Series 3, it was a direct replacment. IMO it’s a very good charger, fast and durable.

garydickmeyer
    plymouth

where can a guy get one and approx. cost on the dual pro? thanks

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Had mine go out in my 2004 620. I had a new minkota put in. Minkota has a 3 year warranty. Try wade at jolly ann. He’ll set you up they are easy to install.

Forgot to mention mine was right at 3 years old and the dealer replaced it under warranty

ted-merdan

owned 8 rangers – only allowed the first one to have the factory installed chargers. Watched quite a few of them (factory chargers) replaced by the tournament support trailers.

My vote is also for Minn Kota – have performed great for 7 years!

-ted

garydickmeyer
    plymouth

what’s the cost of the minkota?Need to know how much to hide from the wife

ted-merdan

Depending if you need a 2, 3 or 4 bank the cost can range from $140 – $400 which depends on how many amps per bank with more amps = qicker charging. One other feature I like is they are smart chargers meaning they bring the battery up to ~95% with full power and then just use 2 amps or less to maintain the charge.

For a quick price check I just hopped on Cabelas and searched with this for results MinnKota chargers @ Cabelas

Good luck!

-ted

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Quote:

owned 8 rangers – only allowed the first one to have the factory installed chargers. Watched quite a few of them (factory chargers) replaced by the tournament support trailers.

My vote is also for Minn Kota – have performed great for 7 years!

-ted

Really Ted? I have a buddy that sells em in Alexandria here and he swears by em. I don’t think he ever has any come back?? I’ve had good luck with MinnKotas too though, so I personally wouldn’t shy away from either one. My only other recommendation would be to go with the 10amp version of whatever brand you decide to go with.

Happy B-Day Chief

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Sure 10amp is good, I can’t speak for anyone else, but I fish pretty hard some days, I’ve gotta say I’ve never had an issue being full charged the next day with a 6 amp charger, even with some quick turn around time, I buy BIG batteries too. In my case I’d save the $ and go with a 6 amp variety if one can be had for less. Honestly I wouldn’t pay anything more to get a 10amp over a 6amp.

Of course my tournament or guide service don’t depend on it… So not to discount either of your opinions.

ted-merdan

In ’02 or ’03 when I saw most of the charges swapped out. When I switched never had another issue so I didn’t look back or for an additional option.

You definitely can save money with fewer amps per bank no doubt. For me,I ran 15 amps/bank because when you are at a hotel in a spider web of extension cords you want the most juice to ensure your batteries are charged in the morning when you are ready to use them. Something a lot of folks also overlook is how important the extension cord is in this equation. Upsize to a contractor level 12/3 or 10/3 (which is heavier gauge wire in the cord) and you will reduce the voltage drop from the outlet to your charger. I also like cords with the lighted receptical so you know it’s working and opt for the ‘all weather’ cords that are easier to manage in the cooler temps.

My $.02 – good luck with your decision and purchase.

-ted

drifter295
    Hastings MN

Just to let you know, if you decide to go with Minnkota they have a rebate on all their chargers now, not attempting to steer you in any direction, I’m only passing on info

garydickmeyer
    plymouth

thanks again guys! I will check them out

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.